New electric oven- what is the supply size / fuse to my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house. New CU was fitted around 2000.
Current oven and hob is Gas.
We are wanting to put in Electric oven. It 8.6kw.

Uk Power Network says
https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/upgrade-reduce-electricity said:
3. Upgrade an electricity fuse
It’s common for older properties to have 30 or 60amp fuses. We can upgrade this to a 80 or 100amp fuse for you free of charge. Typically domestic customers need this when:

• Installing a power shower
  • Installing a jacuzzi
  • An electrician has recommended a 100amp fuse
How can I tell what amp fuse supplies the house, and, if the supply line to the house is big enough?

I'm arranging for the builder to open up the fireplace (where the oven will go), then electrician to add power, then gas man to fit the oven.

It occurred to me I may not have enough capacity to run the oven. If I need UK Power Networks to upgrade stuff I'd prefer to arrange it now.

CU has 2x 32amp rings, 2x 6amp light circuits, 1x 16amp external socket, 2x 6amp for bell and alarm with 1 slot free.

Oven requires a new dedicated 32amp supply. Its 8.6kw

For what its worth, here's a picture of the supply line and fuse

20201227_171307.jpg

How do I go about finding out if I need an updated supply or fuse from ukpn? Electrician is trusted but not free for a few weeks so asking here.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How can I tell what amp fuse supplies the house, and, if the supply line to the house is big enough?
Contact the network operator, which depends on where you live.
If it's UKPN, ask them. If you don't live in their area, you can find out who it is here: https://www.powercut105.com/findoperator

Oven requires a new dedicated 32amp supply. Its 8.6kw
Same as 99% or more of cookers. Most homes have a 32A circuit for them. What you want is entirely standard and not anything unusual.

30A fuses to a property are rare, typically only found on very old supplies that haven't been upgraded or even looked at since the 1950s.
Most are at least 60A.

gas man to fit the oven.
Why would a gas person fit an electrical appliance?

Contact the network operator, which depends on where you live.

It is UKPN. They will come for a site visit but ask I find this out first

Requesting a free site visit

You will need to complete these checks before requesting a site visit:
  1. Find out which fuse size you require
  2. Check if your fuse board and consumer wires are the correct size or if they need upgrading
  3. Check if your electricity meter and meter wires are the correct size or if they need upgrading

If its already an 80 or 100amp then I am wasting their time. Although if thats the only way, Ill book it.

Sponsored Links
You are the first person to fit a new oven that has needed a main fuse upgrade !

I think that tells you it’s not a problem

Wasting their time if it's a 60A as well.
It's incredibly unlikely there is any need to do anything.
You are just having an electric oven installed - the exact same thing that millions of other homes have.

Current oven and hob is Gas. We are wanting to put in Electric oven. It 8.6kw.
Typo, hob. Its electric oven with gas hob...
Something here does not seem to completely add up.

A single electric oven is typically 3kW (often a bit less, and not uncommonly connected via 13A plug), and double ovens about double that - so 8.6kW would be rather OTT (and more typical of cooker {=electric oven + electric hob}) than just n oven.

How big is this oven?

Kind Regards, John

Ok ok, worrying over nothing. I'd prefer to plan and eliminate potential issues than have a nasty surprise.

How big is this oven?
Big. Its a
RANGEMASTER Kitchener 90 Dual Fuel Range Cooker - Stainless Steel & Chrome
upload_2020-12-27_18-35-13.png

Note: the house has a terrible cheap oven and hob that came with the house.

After cooking a large xmas dinner we (ok, wifey) decided now is the time to get the oven she really wants.

Cooking a feast with a terrible oven is stressful.

We have the space in tbe kitchen where a range originally went, 100 years ago, and funds, so, why not eh?

Allowing for diversity, this 8.6KW oven will be "rated" at 23.5A so a 32A circuit will be perfectly adequate. I looked at Rangemaster's website, and the 90 appears to have a maximum rating of 7.4KW, which, with diversity comes down to 21.7A. Diversity: 10A + (30% of the balance) + 5A for the socket(if fitted). If you already have an electric oven, (or an electric shower!) then you should be fine with your existing main fuse.
HTH

If you already have an electric oven, (or an electric shower!) then you should be fine with your existing main fuse
I have neither, although I am reassured from this thread it'll be ok.
Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back