new electrics need sleeving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me any info please brother has just had electrics done to his new extension has had an electrician in to put first fix in plasterer coming in weekend but i have noticed that the grey wiring has not got any white sleeving covering them when i got mine done the electrician covered mine he has phoned his electrician up and he said you dont need to cover them is this correct

thanks brian

Sponsored Links
the grey wiring has not got any white sleeving covering them when i got mine done the electrician covered mine
Do you mean capping?

MTCAP25.JPG

he has phoned his electrician up and he said you dont need to cover them is this correct
Yes, it is.

Personally I would fit it, but there's no regulation which says you must.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone experience of plasterer 'flaying his trowel' about?

Of the following trades, who may damage a cable, I would have thought the plasterer would be the least likely.
After all his tool is a large, flat rectangular object applied at an angle to maintain a flat surface and the last thing he would want is a centimetre deep gauge in his work.

Expect it will be dry lined anyway, in which case there really is no need at all.

Has anyone experience of plasterer 'flaying his trowel' about?

Of the following trades, who may damage a cable, I would have thought the plasterer would be the least likely.
After all his tool is a large, flat rectangular object applied at an angle to maintain a flat surface and the last thing he would want is a centimetre deep gauge in his work.

Could you honestly say that there is no chance at all that a trowel could 'nick' a cable ?

the edge of a plasterers trowl can be very sharp if it's much loved and used daily..
think about it, it's a thin piece of spring steel being rubbed repeatedly over an abrasive surface at almost the same angle every time..

it only takes one wrong hand movement and the trowel slides sideways and you end up with the same effect you get if your razor slips..

these "gouges" in the plaster are easy to fix with a few more strokes of the trowel, but the cable isn't so easy..

Thanks for your response ill let him know that the capping is not needed by regs but should be done for safety thanks once again all resondents
brian

Any decent plasterer would not cause trowel damage to an unprotected cable. A thug maybe but not a competent spreader. They respect their trowels like the Egyptians worshipped their gods.
They would be more concerned about damaging the trowel than the cable.
But I have nothing against the use of capping. Even though it is not required, it will help prevent any potential trowel damage to the cable and also hold the cable in place.

But I have nothing against the use of capping. Even though it is not required, it will help prevent any potential trowel damage to the cable and also hold the cable in place.
As for 'holding the cable in place', one presumably has to be careful to ensure that the cable is adequately clipped to the wall if one wishes to treat it as Reference Method C. If it is merely 'held in place' by capping (with little or no clipping), I would have thought that would probably make it Method B (i.e. conduit), wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John.

I think the method would still be "C" as in clipped direct.
The cable will be held in place via fitted capping and addition of plaster.
Heat will be allowed to dissipate without effecting the current capacity of cable. So I would not consider documenting the ref. method any differently.

I think the method would still be "C" as in clipped direct. The cable will be held in place via fitted capping and addition of plaster. Heat will be allowed to dissipate without effecting the current capacity of cable. So I would not consider documenting the ref. method any differently.
Interesting. I thought the point of Method C was that there was good thermal contact between the cable and masonry - and that this was why cables in buried conduit (which I would have thought was analogous with 'unclipped but under capping) are Method B.

Any other views on this?

Kind Regards, John.

I take the viewpoint that the cable is not totally encased within the cap and heat can dissipate wall side, so that it will have no de-rating effects of capacity of cable.
Ref C states "flat and touching" The cable is flat and touching the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back