New en suite, waste and soil basics ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of fitting an entirely new en suite, with a shower, basin and toilet.

I will be fitting a new exterior Soil Stack. What are the basics I need to know ?
i.e.

Vent height
Bracket spacings
pipe sizes for shower/basin 40mm/32mm ok ??

I intend to run the shower and basin into one waste pipe with a tee, then onto the stack (about 1.5M away), what fittings do I need to connect to the stack.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to know is that you need permission from building control to do this.

The position of the vent partly depends on any windows in the vicinity

I like to put clips every metre or thereabouts on 4", officially it doesn't need to be this often but none of my stacks have fallen down yet...

I'd run 50mm from the tee to the stack if you're putting the shower and basin in together. Max run for 32mm is 1.7m, so if you're getting close to this you'll need 40mm for part of the basin run. I'd also put a vented trap on the basin. 40mm to the shower from the basin.

Thx Muggles.

I have seen a clamp on boss for connecting the waste to the soil, is this the normal method ? (seems easy enough). Or is there anything else ?

There will be an upstairs bay window with opening approx 3M from the stack, is the best solution to just run it right up to the roof and vent there, using an offset ?

It is on a gable end, near the centre, so the roof line is well above the window height.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can either use a strap boss or a short boss pipe to make the connection. From your description you should be able to vent under the gable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back