New Eucalyptus Tree Staking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have young eucalpytus which was approx 3 feet tall on purchase during the spring and has been staked to prevent it swaying in the wind. It is now approx 7 feet tall and still looks fragile when released from the stake.

At which point should I remove the stake as I understand that trees will eventually rely on the stake for support and will not strengthen properly?

Should I cut the top to encourage it to thicken out first?

Sponsored Links
Hi

ive never been a great lover of staking trees, they are not staked in nature and I only stake when pot grown and in a windy place for the first year while the roots settle in

These trees are pretty weedy young, my feeling would be to take the stake away in spring and let it do it own thing.

regards

as long as the roots are firm, take the stake away. we never stake ecualyptus trees (or any other for that matter). they come from a similar climate to ours and will strengthen very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I'm tempted to wait until the spring as it gets very windy here during the winter.

It's predecessor was a good 30 foot tall and was blown over last year. Its roots were quite shallow which probably didn't help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back