New Ext. Door too short for existing frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody have an idea of what I can do to use a door that is 1/4 inch shorter than the old door? when hung on the hinges there is a +/-1/4 inch gap at the bottom between the door and the threshold. Buying a new door isn't an option, I need to use this one. Any constructive help is welcomed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks. That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that was standard practice or not.

proberbly a little late but you could look a fitting a new threshold strip like a weather mate or some thing similar as generally you need to shorten the door to fit this type

Sponsored Links
It's not too late, I won't have time to work on it until after the holidays.

So you are saying fit a strip of wood under the threshold to raise it a bit to snug up on the bottom of the door? Reason I ask is that the hinges are in perfect position for the top of the door fitting perfectly in the frame. I will have to square the frame up though since the builder decided to shave the original door to fit the slanted frame rather than doing things correctly. they also used long sheetrock screws to square it (half-arsed) and didn't use shims where the screws went through, major crappy work by the carpenter hands.

thanks for the replies guys.

Does anybody have an idea of what I can do to use a door that is 1/4 inch shorter than the old door? when hung on the hinges there is a +/-1/4 inch gap at the bottom between the door and the threshold. Buying a new door isn't an option, I need to use this one. Any constructive help is welcomed.

Thanks.
there is a an item you can get at any hardware store it's called a door sweep it's abou 2-3inchches wide with a rubber at the bottom to keep air in. :p :LOL:

LOL. There is something you should probably understand. A door sweep, unless you live some place with really thick doors, is only about 1-3/4 inches wide. I don't think I've ever seen a door 3 inches thick besides on a church I used to go to as a kid. Furthermore, do you really think I'd be posting about a 1/4 inch gap if I hadn't already installed the sweep on the bottom of the door? I would also hope that it not only keeps air in, but keeps air out as well, otherwise my house would be like a balloon and expand, lol.

I guess I should have said in my first post that "please, only post if you a) can spell and b) aren't stupid."

P.S. Nice double posting.

duct tape will do the trick if you apply it when the outside temperature is over 62.5 degrees

there is a an item you can get at any hardware store it's called a door sweep it's abou 2-3inchches wide with a rubber at the bottom to keep air in. :p :LOL:
How would a condom at the bottom of the door keep air out?

.|..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back