New Extension Close to Neighbours - Party Wall Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are in the process of getting a builder to build our extension that we desperately need. We have planning approval in place but one of this issues that keeps cropping up with builders is the next door neighbours extension (which was there when we moved in 10 year ago) its built right on the boundary. He has a flat roof on his and we are hopeing to put on a pitched roof with gable end on our extension

The problem is how to put the guttering on the eaves closet to next door neighbours extension. Basically the end of our roof would be below next doors eave height - it was be difficult to get a man and drill in there to attach anything to the roof

So one of the potential solutions that builders have mention is to put in a box gutter and have that supported by the neighbours eixsting wall.......so that would mean slicing into his existing extension which personally I dont think i would even go for really so I doubt he would like that situation too

Either way I now gather I need to tell them about the works under the party wall act which I didnt know until now.......but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or knows of any building solutions really - Im no guttering expert but I am becomming one slowly
icon_smile.gif

If it cant be done I guess we would have to go for a flat roof and be happy at that!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Why can't the box gutter be supported on your outterbrick skin.
It's easy enough to get a alloy or ss box gutter fabricated to suit your build.
Done it many times .

You can simply move the roof across slightly to give you room for a box gutter.

The box gutter can be supported on a steel.

Or have a flat roof and have a roof lantern in it, which will create light and a spacious feel to the extension.

There are plenty of options

Did the person who drew up the plans have any sort of a clue about extension design? Why are you letting the builder design the extension?

You need a parapet, a recessed gutter, a boxed gutter or a different roof design. You should not need to touch the neighbour's property at all

Sponsored Links
The roof doesn't need moving for a purpose made box gutter.. roof stays the same as does pitch..
Parapet is an option, but more work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back