new extension with no lintel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm after some advice after a recently built extension. I'm currently filling out the planning form. The bathroom is too small so we wanted to extend it. I have attached 2 pics. I would prefer not to have a cavity wall lintel so the ceiling is flat.

So i propose to use a double joist bolted together(c16), perhaps even site it on the two new side walls - onto both the inner and outer wall. This will be onto the end of the current joists(400mm centers) which overhang by 600mm into the soffit right now. Then i can use joist hangers on both sides to support the new and existing roof. Does this sound ok? This would also enable the new inner wall on the fence side to be flush with the current - no piller.
I built the roof myself after we had a cowboy make so many mistakes. Everything has been passed, but it was quite a while ago as the project is still on going. Thanks very much.

Joists would be 8x2 with noggings and 18mm wbp roof covering, same as current. The roof is edpm.

#

Sponsored Links
You're making a lot of work. Why can't you just remove the fascia and run the new joists from the existing wall out to the new wall?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not sure if ive misunderstood you, but its because there will be no wall there Lol. I was hoping to have flush inside walls.. Just continue the wall another 1.4m on the fence side and break into the wall or use a wall starter next to the door. So there would be no walls left in between(1.4m gap) for the joists to rest on. A double joist can sit on the new walls and the new joists attached here. I will draw it on the photo. Thanks.

heres a overlay, The Red X area will be knocked through.

Ah, I see now.
That would be fine, except that 2 8x2s as a beam would be overkill. 1 will be more than adequate for that span and loading.
No need for piers/padstones!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back