New fence - is it a different colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We moved into a new build property in July. The garden was fenced on all but one side, the boundary with next door. To make it look neater (and also enhance security) I wanted to have this part fenced in the same way. So I got several quotes, and in the end decided to go with the same company who the builders had used to do the rest of the fencing, thinking it would have more of a chance of matching this way...

So the fencer came today, and this is what they've put in...

As you can see, the new fence (to the left) is significantly darker in colour to the existing one, which was installed only a few months ago. I made it known that I wasn't happy, and have queried it twice now with the fencing company and they have assured me it is the same wood and will fade to be similar to the existing fence. However I'm majorly sceptical and have said I'm not prepared to pay until someone comes and looks at it who can confirm either way...

In the meanwhile, I'm after your opinions...

...Does it look like the same wood to you?
...Could it just be that the new wood is wet/damp and needs to dry out?
...Would you be happy with this (and be prepared to pay £250+)

Thanks, appreciate the input.

Gareth

Sponsored Links
It's hard to tell from photo's but it looks like some of the boards have a white mildew on them as if they have been sitting for quite a while in damp conditions.

They would benefit from a light scrub with a water and bleach mix.

As i said its hard to see without being there but the very dark colour is most likely because they have been quite recently treated and so are laden with moisture and treatment chemicals. If that is the reason they are dark then they will dry out fine.

Unless the wood has been treated with a dark stain there is no reason to assume it will not dry out the same as the others in a few months.

Thanks for your reply.

I had read about using bleach and water, but I'm worried the bleach will harm the lawn below the fence?

The other option I had read about was power washing it? Would that help, or would it damage it?

Either way, I shouldn't have to do this with a new fence... or am I being unreasonable?

When using the bleach and water put a polythene dust sheet down (it will be water proof) and then put newspaper or rags on top to absorb the water and bleach, then remove the lot as soon as you are done.

This will protect your lawn.

As for not having to do it, you could leave it and it should fix itself, but your fence would be better if you did do it.

As wood is a natural product, these things will happen.

Sponsored Links
The darker wood has either been stored in an enviroment that promoted surface mould growth, or the treatment uses a darker pigment.

Either way, I would agree bleach will "fix" it.

As above. The new panels must have been stored in damp conditions, and algae or mould has formed on them. You could paint them all with coloured fence preservative, which most people do, however mould and algae may stop the preservative penetrating.

I am not sure of your rights here, but I would not be happy with panels in such a state. The panels I had delivered by wickes were dry, and looked new. Yours look as if they are old, and have been badly stored outdoors for a significant time. As you say, they do not match, which was one of your criteria. Did you explicitly request matching panels?

Of course it might be that they will soon dry out and patch the others, given some dry weather ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back