new fence wobbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just started putting up a new 6ft fence 40foot long, the posts are 4x4 8ft in length and burried with postcrete 2 ft down, the posts are about 4 foot apart

we have used wood boards with a 6mm gap between each one

however last night winds has caused one of the posts to push out the soil and its now wobbling, any advice on how to fix the issue would be greatly appreciated

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
You'll have to dig down through the soil and backfill with rock and hard core, I guess just to give a more substantial foundation.......finish off with more concrete.
John :)

There is no cure for a wobbly post unfortunately. youll have to remove and replace it.

Thanks will look at putting new post in and maybe a few extra posts to reinforce it

Do you think a bigger gap than 6mm between boards should have been left?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I'm interested to know why it wobbles.

Did the post move in the fresh concrete before it had cured? Or is the concrete plug loose in the ground, e.g. because you disturbed the surrounding soil, or it is sandy? Or is the concrete and the hole too small to spread the load?

Which county are you in? Hilly? Coastal?

We are in South Shields

The soil in places is quite clay like

I used a post digger to make the holes for the posts

When set initially it was rock hard and it didn't shift its the plug that's became loose and pushed out soil surrounding it

Another one of the posts is start to move a little also

so perhaps the concrete is too small. What are its dimensions?

I am on the coast and had to remake my concrete fill into a wedge shape, flat wide end to the lee to spread the push of the wind

I would say roughly about 12" squared

The area is pretty open to the elements so when putting it up input a few extra posts in

Once these winds calm down I'll have to try and sort it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back