New fire door closer very heavy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just fitted a new fire door closer, the instructions weren't clear.
It's very heavy to open
Can anyone see any obvious errors please ?
Also what affect does the bar length adjustment have ?
Thanks
Screenshot_20210313-002203_Photos.jpg

Sponsored Links
Normally these come with a template that you stick to the door and use.

Did this unit not come with this? I am surprised the included instructions were not clear.

Is it one of these units
?

Once it's in position properly you can adjust the latch and speed.

Thanks, on my instructions it said to tension it, but in the video they dont do that so I think that's the problem

Sponsored Links
One arm should be at 90 degrees to frame when installed, looks like you have adjusted return too short.

The arm which comes off the closer body is the one which should be at 90° to the face of the door. Closer does look a bit near to the edge of the door to my eye, but maybe not. What weight/composition is the door, please?

I'm not sure of composition of door, but as it's a fire door its heavy.
Do you mean it looks a bit close to the hinge side ?
Thanks

I've had another look at it, if I move it closer to the frame should that reduce the leverage it has on the door ?

one the plans there are 2 different positions to have the closer from the hinge, one is 120 degree installation , which is nearee the hinge, and one is 180 degree.

I've fitted it around 1cm past where it should be for 180 degree, which I guess is giving it too much leverage ?

I am now left trying to figure out what you actually mean by it is "very heavy" to open. The thing is that for a fire door closer to work properly it is required to exert a closing pressure of at least 25kgf to meet the regs, unless it is for use in a school environment (I.e where there are many small children) or on a disabled access door where the regs are different

Thanks, I'm comparing it to the other door I have with a closer fitted.
Obviously i have no way of measuring the force, just the feeling that its heavier, going to speak to the manufacturer today
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back