New flat owner - central heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just moved into a new flat as a first time buyer. According to the Siemens electronic panel inside the cupboard the CH is "off". None of the radiators have been on for the 2 days that I've been in here. However consider it's -3 degrees outside in London the flat is very warm. I wouldn't describe it as hot but I'm walking around in a t shirt and shorts and feeling quite comfortable. I'm concerned that there's something I'm missing and I'm going to incur a large bill? Have tried reaching out to my energy provider but after twice being kept on hold for in excess of an hour I thought I'd try asking here.

Have attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing on the Siemens electronic panel.

I've also attached a second screenshot of another Rossweiner panel. This 'unit' is making noise in perpetuity. Can provide more pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 315C1F85-8DB3-4086-982C-2977A757252F.JPG
    315C1F85-8DB3-4086-982C-2977A757252F.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 78294CEC-32B5-463D-B1D1-E09A0026F9D5.JPG
    78294CEC-32B5-463D-B1D1-E09A0026F9D5.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 99
  • C11C1416-5B02-4135-B905-7472537C06CF.JPG
    C11C1416-5B02-4135-B905-7472537C06CF.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Is the flat well insulated? Is it a new build? What floor are you on? Heat rising from below flat?

The building's 5 years old. I'm on the 4th floor. I can inquire about insulation, would presume well insulated given it's a relatively new build

Could be your answer then, just less heatloss.

Sponsored Links
If the CH is "off" (according to the Siemens screen), the radiators are never on and the thermostat set to 0, and the flat is STILL warm, is there anything that could inadvertently be warming the flat and costing me money? For example could I be heating the water in perpetuity and that residual heat is warming the flat?

Sorry, very new to all of this, still working everything out.

How is the hot water heated? Any underfloor heating?

do you have radiators in the rooms ? , if so are they cold?
Underfloor heating ? , any floors feel particularly warm

Take a meter(S) reading , and check it again in a couple of hours , don't boil a kettle or put cooker etc on

GAS/ELECTRIC

If the CH is "off" (according to the Siemens screen), the radiators are never on and the thermostat set to 0, and the flat is STILL warm, is there anything that could inadvertently be warming the flat and costing me money? For example could I be heating the water in perpetuity and that residual heat is warming the flat?

Sorry, very new to all of this, still working everything out.
No, if you have a water cylinder for hot water it'll be insulated, any residual heat wouldn't have the oomph to keep the flat let alone one room comfortably warm.

If the heaters in the flat are off and you have no underfloor heating, the conclusion could be rising heat from the properties below, however I'm still surprised this is heating your flat to such a comfortable level. However that plus good insulation is maybe sufficing in keep the place warm enough for you, bonus!!!

You have a heat meter, so I presume you have district heating.

Is the heat meter going up in range from one day to the other?

I've been digging through documentation and found the attached. Not sure how helpful this is. Will contact Eon first thing on Monday for advice + my current useage.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 67
I've been digging through documentation and found the attached. Not sure how helpful this is. Will contact Eon first thing on Monday for advice + my current useage.
If you're confident the radiators haven't been coming on at all, it's a bit of a mystery. Unless as we're saying it's a combo of a very well insulated property and rising heat from properties below.

Seems to be an HIU unit, this is like a combi boiler. Supplied by District heating.

They normally supply instant hot water and underfloor heating, but can be radiators.

Can you take a picture of this unit, should be head height I'm a cupboard

Sponsored Links
Back