Buying a new mountain bike

I remember the first time I used my Chopper. It was purple with pink letters down the sides. My bike wasn't that great though. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, Was in a local shop yesterday looking at 4 or 5 different bikes, and hopefully going back and to a different shop over the weekend. Gonna tray and go for one with locking front suspension as this seems to be quite important for when i'm on the road. Don't think i need to go to the expense of the rear suspension - i'm very unlikely to be riding on anything rough enought to warrant that.

Seen one at around £450 (originally sold at £550) which is looking favourite at the moment, although i'm not at all keen on the colour.... :oops:

Thank PBoD - really don't want to wear a helmet, but realise that i'd be stupid if i didn't. Think i'll leave the gloves for when later in the year when the weather cools off - but the waterproofs and googles are a good idea!! And i'll see how we go with the mud - if the washing becomes a problem, maybe the missus will buy me them to save her washing machine!!

Are hybrid tyres worth considering? THe guy in the shop showed us some that are relatively smooth in the middle, but with 'nobbles' on the outer edge and side for the rough terrain? As I say, i'm probably going to be on tarmac less than 50% of the time so wonder if normal mountain bike tyres will be best. Or maybe leave them for now and when it comes to replacing the tyres, try the hybrids?

If the bike comes with semi-slicks(for both road and rough terrain) I would keep them, they are a good tyre if you are going to encounter both types of surface.
If you are planning your rides, and the use is either for one type of terrain or the other.
You could consider buying both a set of slicks for the road and a set of cyclocross tyres for the rough stuff. They are not that hard to change or you could splash out and have two sets of wheels, already fitted with the tyres.

Sponsored Links
i don't think having two sets of tyres will be any use for me personally - the times i go out and just ride on one surface will be very few and far between. To be honest, i'll be avoiding roads wherever possible - i'd rather not mingle with cars, buses and lorries if I can help it, but if I want to ride out from home (or cycle to work as I hope to) then i'll have no choice but to cycle on the road for some part of the trip - so the semi-slicks might be an option.

The guy in the shop said that, before the bike leaves the shop, they'll fit it with either full off-road tyres OR semi-slicks at no extra charge - obviously once i take it away, if i change my mind and go back, they'll charge me to change them. So I can have it with either type of tyres (assuming i get it from that shop) but he did say that semi-slicks can be prone to punctures if you're doing a lot of off-roading, especially if there's likely to be thorns etc... as the slick part of the tyre will puncture fairly easily? :confused:

Go on ebay and search for Scott bikes local to you, you can get some pretty cheap. Much better than Giant, Special etc..

I'm 15 stone and ride a 2011 Scott Scale 30. Best bike i've ever had. If you heavy like me hydraulic brakes are a must!

At first front dampers feel like a flat tyre but you get used to it, you can adjust the settings to your weight.

A good compromise for a road and off-road tyre is to get an off-road tyre that has tread pattern where the centre nobles are very close together or joined. A really good off-road tyre will have a much more open tread and be useless on the road. If you then do a lot of road work get full 11/2 slicks. You should fly on them.When the paths are dry still use the slicks, they'll be ok. The most likely time you will get a puncher is when the surfaces are wet. Whether it's road or off-road. So, carry a repair kit. I also include a Mars bar in case I break down.

AndrewSchofield,
If you intend to do most of your cycling off road and very little on road, it would be daft to suggest using slicks as they are simply not suitable for off road terrain. You have been advised correctly, the slicks/semi-slicks will puncture easier on the rougher terrain.
There are a few types of MBTs. Some are more suitable for the mountain bike environment but some will cross over to the smoother surface and not giving as much drag. Something like the a crossroads tyre that comes with puncture protection could be ideal for you.

Well i've taken the plunge and am now the proud owner of a brand new Giant Revel 0 mountain bike. It has come with toe clips on the pedals and i'm really not sure about these. I'm sure someone told me while I was looking at bikes that you don't usually use toe clips etc.. on mountain bikes as there is more chance of coming off the bike and not being able to get your feet off the pedals quick enough. I have to say, having test ridden it last night, i don't feel like I like the toe clips.

Should i remove them, or are they worth keeping to prevent my feet slipping whilst pedalling, once I get used to the restriction of having my feet fastened to the pedals?

Do you mean toe clips (ie straps that go over a regular shoe) or clipless (with a cleat that screws into the shoe). If it is toe clips then take them off. If they are clipless then its really a matter of personal choice. I just ride on regular flat pedals. Generally a good all round option.

We have mountain bikes here in sunny Wales, but I doubt they are the type the OP is looking for. :unsure:

Do you mean toe clips (ie straps that go over a regular shoe) or clipless (with a cleat that screws into the shoe). If it is toe clips then take them off. If they are clipless then its really a matter of personal choice. I just ride on regular flat pedals. Generally a good all round option.

Toe clips, just a plastic bracket with a strap to tighten it up on my normal shoe. I can see that they are advantageous as they ensure your foot is in the right place on the pedal and that it doesn't slip off (i recall the mess pedals can make to your leg if your foot slips off and the spin round and smack you on the shin from my childhood - and my new bike has more 'agressive' pedals than my old bike used to have). But i feel really uncofortable knowing that i can't easily take my foot off the pedal if i fall or need to stop quickly. Think i'll take them off for now and when I get used to riding a bike again, see how I feel and maybe put them back on then?

Thanks RH2 - they look like something i'd be much more comfortable using - might have a look at getting a pair of them!! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back