Types of bike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I know there's some cyclists on here, and some cyclist haters too, so this is for those who are keen on two wheels.

I bought a new 'hardtail' mountain bike about 18months ago and have got into cycling more and more since then. I commute the 11.5miles to work twice a week now if I can and my commute is split about 5miles on roads and 6.5miles on a trail (disused railway line). I also take it out on rougher tracks and trails sometimes at weekends. I took out finance to buy the bike and the payments end early in the new year and I'm toying with the idea of buying a road bike when i've paid this one off.

So will the benefits of a road bike by worth the outlay? I understand that cycling on roads will be easier/faster, but i'm not that worried about the difficulty, the mountain bike has toned my legs up nicely, although a quicker commute would be nice. How are road bikes on hills? The 5miles i travel regularly on roads include some serious hills so if the mountain bike is better suited to tackling them, despite being on tarmac, its probably not worth me getting one - can't leave my village without having to head uphill in all directions! And what about taking the road bike on the trail? Is that a no-go? Will I have to stick to the road. The trail is finished with loose stone but is well compacted in most places, but it is quite bumpy (like cycling on a rumble strip) in places, particularly under the trees where its eroded by rain dripping. It can also be well covered with leaves at this time of year. I think someone also mentioned that the tyres aren't so resistant to punctures as a mountain bike, so that might a problem when I head off the tarmac. Just looking to find out what the main differences/suitabilities are between mountain bikes and road bikes and what the pros and cons are between the two.

Also, can anyone advise what features i should look out for when choosing a road bike. I've got hydraulic disc brakes on my mountain bikes and I'm so glad I went for them - the last bike I had before this had wired brakes with brake blocks on the rim of the wheel - I can't believe how much better the discs are!!

Sponsored Links
If your mountain bike has lockable front wheel suspension, for the usage and distances you are travelling, the outlay for a new road bike does not make logical sense. A better option would be the change of tyre types for the conditions/environment you ride.
I ride a multitude of terrains on my travels, so generally stick to hybrid tyres.
But do have a set of slicks if doing some long distance road work.

Prentice - Thanks for that. Kind of backed up what I was thinking, and yes, the suspension has lock-out on it. I'd like to do some long distance road cycling - but it would only be every now and again, certainly not every week. The other thing is that the trail I use has tunnels on it, and they're now threatening to close them if the weather is bad (icy - I think?). If they do that, i'd have to abandon the trail bit and my commute would increase to around 13miles, all on the road, but still with some serious hills.

So what are the main physical differences between a road bike and a mountain bike? Other than the thin, smooth tyres on the road bike, compared with the wide nobbly ones on the MB?

I had considered replacing the off-road tyres on my bike with hybrids when they're worn out - will that make a big difference on the road, and what difference will it make on the trail/off-road?

So what are the main physical differences between a road bike and a mountain bike? Other than the thin, smooth tyres on the road bike, compared with the wide nobbly ones on the MB?
Well the main difference is as you know that RB is designed for long rides on smooth roads and the MB is designed for the rougher terrain.
Unfortunately the roads of these shores, often lean towards the a rougher pot-holed terrain!
The road bike is generally much lighter bike and offers a smoother faster ride.
I had considered replacing the off-road tyres on my bike with hybrids when they're worn out - will that make a big difference on the road, and what difference will it make on the trail/off-road?
It will make a difference, they offer a combination of slicker smother rides on the streets and roads but also adapt to the bumpier, rougher terrains.
If it's a headache changing the tyres have two sets of wheels for slicks and hybrids. Cheaper than buying another bike, you can then get a feel for the slicks, if you are doing mainly roads and streets, it willl be worth getting slicks. But if you have combination of terrains go for the hybrids or your going to have lots flats!

Sponsored Links
Well I had thought that myself. Whlist almost half of my commute is on tarmac, they're hardly smooth roads! Most of it is on an unclassified road which has plenty of bumps and potholes and no formal road-edge, so its not unusual to have mud and/or loose stones on the road when it has rained heavy.

Is there any difference in the gearing on a road bike? Or is that more of a variation from one bike to the next, rather than between road bikes and MBs? Just wondered if a road bike would be 'higher geared', so quicker on the flat, but going to take some muscle to get up the hills? Or is that not the case.

Think i'll replace the off-road tyres with hybrids when they're ready and see what the difference is for myself on the route I ride and then decide whether to keep two sets of tyres/wheels to interchange between.

As far as i can see nobody mentioned tyre pressure, on a road bike anywhere between 60-100psi, this makes a hellova difference with there being less drag on the tyre.

I used a bike for my other hobbies Radio and Photography and it allows me to do some distance reasonably quickly yet stop nearly anywhere to take pictures or answer radio.

The front gear change failed and shop said bike past economic repair. So looking for replacement. Want cheap looking bike less likely to be stolen if left outside the pub but in North Wales I need gears and I also go off road so thinking better brakes may be a good idea.

I already have puncture resistant tyres which are really a must with hawthorn bushes which will likely swap onto new bike.

But really don't know how much to spend or what to look for? Should I go for Halfords special or go to one of the many local shops.

Gave way both my tandems as could not buy single spokes wanted me to buy 100 and since two different sizes in the wheel that meant 200 spokes to replace 8 and so I don't want any special bike again I want one I can buy bits for.

Well I have taken the plunge and bought a new off road bike with disc brakes and suspension from Halfords looked at other shops first but there was no question this had far more for the money.

So remove my tires tomorrow and take to be fitted to new bike want puncture proof as do not like repairing them.

Any colour I want as long as it's blue.

They tell me a 100 miles to run in so seems I will have to do some peddling to get it up to A1 condition.

First real event will be the Mold 10k run where I will be providing communications as a member of RAYNET and hope to follow the last runner giving updates to control.

Well I have taken the plunge and bought a new off road bike with disc brakes and suspension from Halfords looked at other shops first but there was no question this had far more for the money.

So remove my tires tomorrow and take to be fitted to new bike want puncture proof as do not like repairing them.

Any colour I want as long as it's blue.

They tell me a 100 miles to run in so seems I will have to do some peddling to get it up to A1 condition.

First real event will be the Mold 10k run where I will be providing communications as a member of RAYNET and hope to follow the last runner giving updates to control.
Halfords staff are pretty inept at assembling bikes correctly, you might want to have it checked by a proper cycle shop, before the wheels fall off. :eek:

Well ran it around a bit and started to have problems with low gear at front by time I came to use it with RAYNET I could not use low gear on front cog the chain came off however I adjusted. Did a lot of walking the steep bits.

On return careful inspection and the small sprocket was twisted as if it was made of mild steel. Took it back and guys at Halfords said they had never seen one do that before and it was changed without any fuss.

Glad it went so fast as it was clearly faulty and had I been a light weight it could have taken much longer to show.

Sponsored Links
Back