Mountain Biking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone on here into mountain biking?

I have been on a bike pretty much since birth (ok, 5 was more like five) but since getting out of collage got into cycling bespoke made single track at places like Llandgella/Cwncarn/Afan/CannockChase etc on a half decent hardtail, then a few years ago a year after a mate went, about 20 of us booked a week in the Alps for which I bought a second hand downhill rig had a cracking time of that so now go around the UK doing up-lift days at Hamsterley/CwnDown/Bikeparkwales etc

What do you do?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I as a member of RAYNET do go to mountain bike events though don't ride in them main one out of Ruthin 100km.

I am rather surprised how few accidents considering speeds involved.

I use a bike for photography I can stop where I want where with a car you have to find some where to park and after having brakes fail on front wheel with old calliper brakes decided I really did need discs.

Suspension was something I was uncertain about. I know one loses a lot of power with it but in the end decided I would get a bike with suspension front and rear. After using it I am glad I did even though most is road work it means I can ride for longer.

My only regret is gearing top gear is too low. But for amount I use the bike not worth worrying about.

My cycling seems to have gone in waves. At one time had two tandems now they really motor but parts was the problem silly thing like could not buy replacement spokes motor cycle wheels have break drum meaning spokes are shorter.

I have got back into biking this last year or so after a break of pretty much 14 years or so. Bought a specialized hardrock disc, and have loved every minute I've been out. Lots of country roads, bridle ways fields etc around my area and a friend introduced me to sherwood pines which was right up my street. He has also mentioned Cannock to try, is it any good?

I have got back into biking this last year or so after a break of pretty much 14 years or so. Bought a specialized hardrock disc, and have loved every minute I've been out. Lots of country roads, bridle ways fields etc around my area and a friend introduced me to sherwood pines which was right up my street. He has also mentioned Cannock to try, is it any good?
The hardrock was my first bike too (back in about 1998, when the where still cro-mo not ali) great bike, now replaced with a rockhopper.

Cannock is a cracking ride, for the riding I do now its a bit 'cross country' as there are clearly no big hills in the area, but its a really good ride and I still enjoy it, something for everyone. I went to a specialized demo day there only 2-3 weeks ago and had a great time.
- The main rides are follow the dog, and the slightly longer/newer 'monkey' trail.
- First the first trip, park at Birches Valley, with the bike shop and cafe, etc. After that you also have the option of parking at Marquis Drive (where it crossed birches valley rd), and by the Level crossing where the same road, all be it broke by gated unmetaled track, crosses the 640.
There is also a downhill area just around the corner at stylecop, although this is not for the faint hearted, or really, those without a full face helmet.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Went out with a champion bmx cyclist once, used to go and watch her go and perform but don't ride competitively myself, much too dangerous! I'm a regulation wuss.

I started mountain biking in 1988 when I moved to beautiful Lancashire and got a bit fitter. But after 22 years of night riding, driving to places to ride, mud and filth, wear and tear on bikes and kit I moved over to road riding four years ago and got really fit, fitter than I've ever been in my life. I can ride my roadie from my front door, travel huge distances with ease and see stunning countryside then come home clean, happy and feeling beasted.

Yep. Rather old but heavily updated stumpjumper. Usually ride around Bristol or Welsh trail centres. Did bike park wales last week and off to Morzine soon.

... and off to Morzine soon.
Just come back from a week in the Alps yesterday, totally changes your expectations and opens your mind to what mountain biking on a mountain is like, as apposed to mountain biking on a small hill in south wales.

We stayed in Chatel this year (LesGets last year, Morzine the year before) but with the uplift pass covering all of Portes du Soleil you can ride all over, and Morzine and LesGets where riding well.

Are you taking the stumpjumper out with you, or hiring while there?

Heres a map to wet your appetite!
plan_des_pistes_vtt.jpg

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back