Mountain biking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any keen mountain bikers on here?

Bought my son a new mountain bike for Xmas, and now he's in the bigger size means I now need to get a bike to keep up with him. I want to get into proper mountain biking for the pair of us, he loves his bike and so Im thinking it's something we can do together.

Now I want to settle on a bike. I know to stay away from Halfords own brand and other such 'in-house' brands.

However calibre go outdoors own brand seem to have a pretty good reputation for beginner bikes, but seems to be all on the older stuff before their designer left.

I want to spend around £300 for something half decent, there was a polygon bike on offer for £300 that seemed well specced and had good reviews but my dilly dalling meant I've missed this opportunity.

I've now seen the calibre lead and caliber blade for the same price, the lead appears to have all own brand or Chinese derailers (Ltwoo) and brakes. Whereas the blade appears to have all branded stuff like Shimano gear sets.. the calibre lead has a higher retail price than the blade so I can't help but think I'm missing something, maybe the blade has all the budget end of the branded parts on I don't know.

Or should I be looking at something completely different?

Sponsored Links
The lead doesn't look to shabby for the money but bear in miind the bottom bracket, crank set, derailer and other
components etc are probably non branded parts but dare say you can replace these parts with shimano if and when
they wear out. Also if were me I'd whip the bottom bracket out and make sure it's generously lubed up same with
rear and front hubs. It's a trail bike btw

Thanks.

Yeah trail bike is what we're wanting, we've bought him a Cannondale trail bike.

At start of new year we'll go out and start building confidence (and fitness for me)

Sponsored Links
I bought a frame and built my own.
Plenty of good parts going for reasonable price on retrobike forum, especially japanese stuff from good days.

Wouldn't say I'm a bike expert, just been riding the same MTB on and off for the last 30 years - gets a lot more use these days. Mostly road use on road tyres. Toying with the idea of putting it into semi retirement and getting something new. Bottom line for me would be Shimano components (at least brakes and gears) as everything on my old bike is Shimano and they last and can be repaired/parts sourced. Wouldn't consider Chinese stuff.

I like the look of Giant bikes, but they may be above your £300 limit. Carrera bikes seem very popular and bit cheaper, but not sure if they're any good.

I'd go used for that budget and I wouldn't get obsessed about 27.5" or 29" tyres. There are still loads of really good 26" wheeled MTBs out there. Unless you are racing it wont make much difference anyway.

Whyte 901
Boardman Comp/pro
Take a look at this Trek Fuel Ex8

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
And don't forget, two good robust bike locks to help stop the thieves. One lock on front and one around frame.

Any decent spec bike can be stripped with a multi tool in seconds

I bought a frame and built my own.
Plenty of good parts going for reasonable price on retrobike forum, especially japanese stuff from good days.

if me and the boy get proper into it thats what i plan on doing next

TBH - it tends to work out more expensive if you do that.

Lots of people spend a couple of grand on a bike and then sell it after a year or 2 with light use. If I broke mine for parts it would be worth double what I paid for it.

TBH - it tends to work out more expensive if you do that.

Lots of people spend a couple of grand on a bike and then sell it after a year or 2 with light use. If I broke mine for parts it would be worth double what I paid for it.
It'd just be for ****s and giggles because we'd enjoy doing it together.

We'll see how we get on with it though.

Any decent spec bike can be stripped with a multi tool in seconds
That's why i don't ride a flashy bike, a bit of rust on the seat post a few scratches on the frame, a cable
tie holding the rear mudguard on means not really worth the hassle for most tea leafs. It's a great bike to me
I rarely get overtook. It would upset me if it were abducted

When you get your bike, I can recommend this little ride at Mchynlleth over in mid Wales. Maybe do a few circuits of the local park just to get warmed up though.

Sponsored Links
Back