£300 fixed penalty for cycling at night without lights.

Pedestrians walking down a country lane with no lights at night, should they be fined?

I was with a group of people on a country road, with no pavement, who were run down at night.

But it was a wide, straight road

With streetlamps.

The driver was an elderly gentleman.

It is quite common for eyesight to deteriorate with age.

give yourself a fighting chance and use lights.

Sponsored Links
The reason why cyclists ride wide in the road is to make people THINK about the overtake.
Taken from motorcycliists who do it for other reasons and need not inconvenience others.

Your comment is essentially daft.

I think it was a copper who told me they aren't mandatory as with normal traffic lights, so if you can see it's clearly clear you wouldn't be nabbed for passing one on red. Happen to know??
Different regs, but just as enforceable. Noting that the signing requirements are very onerous.

trafficcontrolbyportabletrafficsignals.png

Taken from motorcycliists who do it for other reasons and need not inconvenience others.

Your comment is essentially daft.
I think its worse than that. Some cyclings guides advocate, shall we say "active" defensive strategies, without properly understanding the human condition. Nobody should block someone from overtaking them when there is a risk of injury or death. A better strategy is to take the space and be ready to give it up when needed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nobody should block someone from overtaking them when there is a risk of injury or death. A better strategy is to take the space and be ready to give it up when needed.
What does that even mean???

Are you saying that cyclists shouldn't ride defensively because someone might overtake them & in doing so risk their life because those damn pesky cyclists were blocking the lane so they had to go into the oncoming traffic in order to get in front of them???

Please explain.

I did a call out to a road traffic maintenance company last week (lights & Signs).

I had to ask for a girl called Amber.... I wonder if she's the daughter of the owner

Agree with the fixed penalty, but traffic offences like that should also attract penalty points onto your driving licence. Obviously that won't bother yooths, but most cyclists also drive...

They can store up points for when you do get a licence I think.

However can't remember full details but there were some costs to be paid. My insurance paid it. I asked why, not my fault and was told it's because I was insured.

NHS make a charge for treatment where a road incident is involved.

Last night I had to slam on the brakes to abs point because 3 humanoids (2 females, 1 male by the look of it) decided to cross the road in the middle of a busy roundabout on the A4.
Seriously, if it wasn't for their crazy luck, these "people" would be all dead within a year or so.

Last night I had to slam on the brakes to abs point because 3 humanoids (2 females, 1 male by the look of it) decided to cross the road in the middle of a busy roundabout on the A4.
Seriously, if it wasn't for their crazy luck, these "people" would be all dead within a year or so.
Slam on the brakes?

Maybe you shouldn't have been driving too fast?

The head down b um up brigade

Pia on the road

There is some total
Fruit cake down this way who has one of them hand cycles

Decides to go out on the road in the rush hour ( mornin) causing total chaos

The head down b um up brigade

Pia on the road

There is some total
Fruit cake down this way who has one of them hand cycles

Decides to go out on the road in the rush hour ( mornin) causing total chaos
I clock 18.52hrs & it seems you pi$$3d already. P'raps you live in a different timezone?

Would you like to repost this when you sober, maybe then we can hope to make sense of it.

Sponsored Links
Back