New increased fixed penalty fines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know wether you guys are aware of the new fixed penalt fines coming in ..with fixed fines going from £60 to £90 but there are also additional fines for ones that was no there before and one I agree with is the middle lane hoggers see

Dangerous Driving Offence Penalties - New Increased Fixed Penalty Fines For Drivers Making Mobile Phone Calls and Sending Text Messages And Other Offences - Drivers to Face Higher £90 Fixed Penalty Fine Plus Penalty Points:

The government has issued a warning, in a crackdown on dangerous driving, announcing that fines for a variety of motoring offences will rise by 50 per cent from £60 to £90.

The number of penalty points offenders receive on their drivers licence will remain at three, although campaigners have called for that to rise to six points.

Sending a text message or making a phone call while at the wheel will land drivers with harsher penalties. In the announcement the Transport Minister Patrick McLoughlin stressed that texting at the wheel was dangerous. The cost increase will cover fixed-penalty notices for the offence of using a handheld device while driving, and also for speeding and going through a red light.

New Three Penalty Points and £90 Fixed Penalty Fines will also be introduced for a number of careless driving offences including:-
· Cutting up other drivers
· Eating a sandwich at the wheel
· lighting a cigarette at the wheel,
· Speeding by a small margin above the posted limit
· Jumping a red light
· Needlessly hogging the middle lane on the motorway
New drug-driving laws will also be introduced, and the current drink-drive limit will not be lowered.

More than a million drivers have been convicted of using a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel since 2003, when using one other than for making an emergency call was made illegal.
The RAC stated that both texting and handheld use of mobile phones at the wheel causes more impairment than being at the drink-drive limit or under the influence of cannabis, therefore the police need to target the large number of motorists continuing to flout the law.

The number of traffic Police on patrol fell by 30 per cent in 2012 and another series of coalition government cuts, of between 12 per cent, to 23 per cent is scheduled for 2013, depending on each force's budget. That means fewer Police on the road catching the most dangerous drivers, in unroadworthy cars or vans.

Please find attached a copy of the Official Government Guidelines on Driving Offence Penalties and the Highway Code detailing how many penalty points are awarded for different motoring offences

Sponsored Links
Also for any company vehicle drivers out there...
if you do not have a no smoking signs in the cab and vosa stop you will be fined £200....not the company but you as the driver
another way to get more money out of the motorists

Sponsored Links
Once over 70 you will have to reapply for your licence every three years. There is no test or medical, but you do have to make a medical declaration.

I know a few elderly that do not make any medical declaration.

What I would like to see once you're 70, compulsory free simple retesting for the elderly every 3yrs.

More money for old rope.

I'm sure most of us try to abide by the rules as much as possible but even the 'perfect' drivers out there will probably end up breaking the law without even being aware of it.

Had a driver blatantly jump a red light so that he could pull in front of me - don't think he realised though as he was on the phone at the time. Trouble is, those sort don't get caught. But the driver going a couple of mph over the limit is always caught.

Just another way of battering the motorist.

Just another way of battering the motorist.

Only those that do wrong find it an issue.

So have you never gone two mph over the limit?

Have you never approached traffic lights with a car up your *rse and you have to decide whether to brake or carry on?

Do you always drive completely round a mini round about without your wheels touching the painted centre?

If you pull over to safely use your mobile, do you switch your engine off?

Have you never cut someone up by accident?

Have you never eaten whilst driving (maybe a chocolate bar)?

Have you never found yourself stuck in a box junction because it's the only way you will ever get across?

I agree with the issues of dangerous driving, using phones, lane hogging, drink driving etc but I really don't think the new fines are anything to do with safety - just more money.

Car owners are one of the two main cash cows...

Because by and large they can be traced/tracked!

Yep i've done a few but if i get caught i don't throw a paddly and make a sing n dance about it.
Some can't even go through roadworks without complaining to the local papers about them.

Is it to much of an effort for some people to drive without getting points/fines ?
Even driving for a living i don't find that hard to do.

Middle lane hoggers should actually be castrated

Especially lorry drivers who think it's fine to pull out into a lane of traffic doing 75mph then trundle along at 56.

They will be giving you three points for overtaking on a single carriageway road next. Or for sneezing, coughing, scratching yer nuts or breathing too heavily.

It's not the points they're after, it's the money stoopid. (to paraphrase bill clinton).
If they give too many points people get banned and aren't eligibe for more fines until they're back on the road.
So obviously they want to fine as much as possible while keeping points as low as possible.

Sponsored Links
Back