New increased fixed penalty fines

The country is bust and the only way the government know how to boost revenue is milk the population.

Sponsored Links
Some can't even go through roadworks without complaining to the local papers about them.

Is it to much of an effort for some people to drive without getting points/fines ?
Even driving for a living i don't find that hard to do.

I agree with many of these proposals, but not all.

I have never complained to the papers about road works, and don't mind slowing down when instructed to. But why are there so many cones/lane closures where there is no evidence of any work taking place? Only last Thursday I drove along the M62 south of Bradford where there are several miles of cones, and have been for a couple of years now, but no sign of any workers.

How to increase revenue from road users even more:
- make bicycle users liable to road tax and make them display number plates;
- charge them for jumping red lights (they all do it)!

Middle lane hoggers should actually be castrated

Especially lorry drivers who think it's fine to pull out into a lane of traffic doing 75mph then trundle along at 56.

They probably had their indicator on for five minutes prior to pulling out but the selfish car drivers were having none of that, just because you are in the middle lane and you have been sitting in it since you got on the motorway does not mean to say it is your lane! Truck drivers want to overtake as well. But they don't hog the lane needlessly!!

But you are wrong there pred.

If I am driving along in the middle lane (for whatever reason) it is my lane for a reasonable distance ahead, I have "right of way" in that lane over vehicles in other lanes.

Lorry drivers are expected to follow the highway code. Highway code rule 133 (Multi Lane Discipline)

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

This is really simple stuff, you should know this is you think you are competent enough to share the road with other uses.

The most dangerous drivers on motorways and dual carriageways are lorry drivers.

Sponsored Links
The most dangerous drivers on motorways and dual carriageways are lorry drivers.

I have read some rubbish on here, but that comment is up there with the rest of that rubbish. Then I again most of the rubbish I am referring too, has been posted by chapess

It's not so much lorry drivers overtaking each other (although I have never in my twenty years on the motorways seen one "indicating for 5 minutes" - they do indicate, but generally only for a few seconds before pulling out anyway), it is the "elephant race" that follows - sometimes literally minutes of 55 vs 55.1 mph jousting, while the entire motorway behind for a good distance tries to cram into one lane, to get past. Get a couple on the A38 around B-o-T, and you're knacked.
And while we are generalising, I would bet that the drivers who as a group leave the least distance to the vehicle in front are..........you can guess the rest yourself.

And while we are generalising, I would bet that the drivers who as a group leave the least distance to the vehicle in front are..........you can guess the rest yourself.

What I've noticed is that car drivers end up bunching up when passing a line of lorries. If you don't then one of them will see a space 2ft longer that his lorry, pull out in front of you, then indicate, and instead of being a decent distance behind the car in front doing 75, you are now two feet behind a lorry which is doing 56.

So you brake harshly, car behind does same, and eventually you have a stationary road. Meanwhile two lorries are driving along happily with a mile of empty road in front because they are obstructing the road for all other drivers.

What I would like to see once you're 70, compulsory free simple retesting for the elderly every 3yrs.

I agree with you! I wouldn't go in a car with most of the people I know who are in their seventies and still drive - you just have to watch them trying to reverse into a space in Tesco's car park. But why make the test simple?? They can either pass the standard test or they cant and if they cant then they shouldn't be on the road. Not me of course, I'm 76 but a competent driver and willing to resit the test if need be. :D :D :D

I think all of us should spend a couple of hours with an instructor every three years or something similar. Not a test as such initially, but if you were below a certain standard, then you would have to spend more time training, until eventually you would lose your licence.

They do something similar at the mrs' work if they get a company insured car. If you have more than six points then you have to go on a short course before you can get company insurance. Seems sensible to me.

Getting twelve points for trivial motoring offences would also not result in losing your licence which is an incredibly severe penalty for such irrelevant crimes. Again, some training, then as long as you are satisfactory you would be good to go.

If I am driving along in the middle lane (for whatever reason) it is my lane for a reasonable distance ahead, I have "right of way" in that lane over vehicles in other lanes.

Lorry drivers are expected to follow the highway code. Highway code rule 133 (Multi Lane Discipline)

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

This is really simple stuff, you should know this is you think you are competent enough to share the road with other uses.

The most dangerous drivers on motorways are incompetent drivers, not lorry drivers.

Also middle lane hoggers, if its safe to do so, get back over to the left :evil:

The most dangerous drivers on motorways are incompetent drivers, not lorry drivers.

And we're the ones that have to keep doing re-fresher courses to compensate for the incompetent drivers on the road, Now it's all about incompetent cyclists. :rolleyes:

If I am driving along in the middle lane (for whatever reason) it is my lane for a reasonable distance ahead, I have "right of way" in that lane over vehicles in other lanes..
.[/quote]

So you're driving along the middle. What is the middle lane for??

Chappy, You really are STUPID if you believe truck drivers are the "most dangerous drivers"

Please tell me are you employed and what is your line of work?

Sponsored Links
Back