a funny thing happened on the way to work today....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well except it wasnt funny!

Got to a job, then had to go off and get some materials. So got in the tipper truck and happily drove along the bypass. Turned off onto a residential road which has a slight downwards incline, so i was touching my brakes. Next thing i had no brakes. Next thing i can hear a grinding noise as the truck starts to slew across the road towards the kerb. At this point having shouted to my lad "Ive got no brakes" I look in the passenger door mirror to see sparks coming from the rear wheel...area. At this point my lad shouts "Weve got no wheels" Only for him to point at our wheels which are maintaining speed, as we slow down, merrily bumping along the road past us. We finally come to a stop about 5 yeards from a pedestrian crossing. Our wheels come to a stop about 300 yards down the road.

Luckily there were no pedestrians on the road and no parked cars. The oncoming traffic was stopped by a HGV which saw them coming. We got out of the truck and saw a large groove running up the road about 200 yards long where we had run on the axle. The brake hub had come off, as had the twin whhels on the back passenger side. Luckily no-one was hurt or hit.

The wheel nuts had completely sheered off of the threads. The recovery guy looked at it and was at a loss as to how it had happened. His comment was "Now i dont see this every day!"
The tyres were changed 4 months ago and its been serviced two months ago (rear wheels werent touched) so ive absolutley no idea how it happened.

Suffice to say im bloody lucky and even more lucky that no one else was hit by them. Im off to look at a new truck and definetly some new underpants!

Sponsored Links
And you expect the customer to believe that one for not re-appearing :LOL:

That accident must have caused you 'wheel' concern.

Seriously though.... jeeesus! You lucky lad!

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear :eek: wheelly sorry to hear this, :rolleyes: poor joke I know. Glad you're okay, what year was the truck? I don't know if the manufacturer want to investigate to see if it need a recall on their make of trucks for design fault?

The tippers my old 95 reg transit. Long in the tooth but weve always kept it well maintained and serviced.

Im just so glad no-one was around when they were flying off down the road. After about half an hour we sdat and laughed for about 10 minutes at it. But im still bloody shakey now, especially at the thought of what could have been! Not to mention the inconvenince :rolleyes:

Thermo yesterday, picking up some decking posts.......

overloaded-truck.jpg

:LOL:

three wheels on my wagon and i'm still rolling along.........

thats what we sang waiting at the side of the road :LOL:

it was the extra weight of the wonderful fencing stain for the concrete posts that did it!

Sounds like the nuts were far too tight. Get someone to check the other side and send the bill to whoever changed the tyres. I once had some so tight I had to use the jack under a length of pipe on the wheel brace - hard shoulder of the M1 too.

I once had some so tight I had to use the jack under a length of pipe on the wheel brace - hard shoulder of the M1 too.

Tell the truth, you didn't know they were left hand threads on the near side wheels. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back