Why diesels are dangerous...

joe-90 said:
If motorbikes were invented today they'd never be allowed on the road.

As you've just proven - they are unsafe.

joe
You`re right.......because we`ve got a nanny state. I choose to ride despite the antics of car drivers....I`m not wasting any more time on this "debate" too many car drivers, here and on the roads.Take care y`all you need to. ;)

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
If you drive diesels, not only is the airbourne benzene giving children cancer but you are also making the roads more dangerous, thus reducing the speed limits and increasing the number of speed cameras they will put up.

Apart from the fact that petrol contains much more benzene than diesel ;) it's the particulates from diesel that are linked to cancer BTW.

As regards motorbikes, well i used to like them and some of my friends have been killed on them but to give you a little fact quoted from 1974 in the last fuel crisis---if everybody in the country rode a motorbike there wouldnt be a fuel crisis.

Also as regards your car, it is over the top, it is nothing more than a form of transport that you waste money on. You do not need anything more than a few hundred cc's to get you around at great speed and economy the rest is just for lugging all the extra wieght of your not needed car. If you paid by the size of the engine you wouldnt have a fuel shortage either cause the 4x4's would disappear tomorrow

Smaller cars with smaller engines and less bulk travelling at lower speeds would certainly help, but car drivers vote.

This is why the present situation of denying there's a problem is happening.

Any governament that acts is voted out of office.

Only when stark reality hits will a government be able to act, but it will be too little and too late.

joe

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Freddie said:
Adam the only reason diesels are damaging is that they emit soot particles which are so fine they lodge in the lungs,

Google for "diesel 3-nitrobenzanthrone", or "1,8-dinitropyrene". Or perhaps "lung cancer diesel".

There are also bits of evidence that lung cancer has diminished in the US since less people now smoke, yet a reduction in smoking in Europe has not resulted in a drop. Reason? Diesel cars aren't popular in the US, but go to any European city and there are DERV burners everywhere.

but wieghing the good and bad diesel is far less damaging all round compared to petrol

Hardly, I've never heard of someone skidding on petrol. And my brother isn't the first person to come off his bike on road-diesel! Came across a biker forum.

Adam before you spout stuff on lung cancer links i think you had better show the facts of your proof

Big_Spark said:
Freddie said:
I didnt know you were a gypo brightspark :LOL:

Freddie, will you please **** off you childish little ****, your not funny, not intelligent, your just an annoying parasite.

Whatever you say ***** :D

Big_Spark said:
andy said:
Big_Spark said:
Incidently, I average about 47mpg..how many cars can match that?

mine! but then again, you are in a van

What do you drive?

Incidently, before the power boost, if I drove sensibly, I could average a little over 50mpg. On long runs I am sure it was nearer 60mpg.

The Czech Chariot did a run a year ago to Croydon with a double bed on the roof: we took it steady at 56 all the way, and got nigh on 700 from one tank.

Freddie said:
As regards motorbikes, well i used to like them and some of my friends have been killed on them but to give you a little fact quoted from 1974 in the last fuel crisis---if everybody in the country rode a motorbike there wouldnt be a fuel crisis.

Also as regards your car, it is over the top, it is nothing more than a form of transport that you waste money on. You do not need anything more than a few hundred cc's to get you around at great speed and economy the rest is just for lugging all the extra wieght of your not needed car. If you paid by the size of the engine you wouldnt have a fuel shortage either cause the 4x4's would disappear tomorrow
Being nice and warm instead of shivering your b*llocks off in winter as you get older does have it's advantages though, I used to be an all weather biker in my younger days before the bikers on here revolt!

securespark said:
Big_Spark said:
The Czech Chariot did a run a year ago to Croydon with a double bed on the roof: we took it steady at 56 all the way, and got nigh on 700 from one tank.

I got 65,000 m from one tank, do not contemplate fitting another either !!
:D :D :D :D

kendor said:
Freddie said:

Being nice and warm instead of shivering your b*llocks off in winter as you get older does have it's advantages though, I used to be an all weather biker in my younger days before the bikers on here revolt!

I didnt mean bikes Kendor, as most journeys are made by one or two people all you need is the smallest of basic cars to go from a to b.

Admittedly i have no interest in cars one bit but i still fail to see why you need huge things just to go shopping or get to work

Freddie said:
I didnt mean bikes Kendor, as most journeys are made by one or two people all you need is the smallest of basic cars to go from a to b.

Quite right. I've considered getting one of those tiny two-seater city cars you see in Rome, or a single-seat Corbin Sparrow. Either would serve me for commuting, and the Sparrow is even electric therefore dirt cheap to run. I am perfectly able to walk home from the supermarket with a week's worth of shopping (you end up about 8-feet wide though, with all the bags :LOL: !)

Thing is, I can't afford to have one of those AND pay delivery/hire a car each time I need to buy something big and/or heavy. Nor can I really afford to run two cars, and that also kinda defeats the object of the exercise!

Adam, there is a flaw in your argument.

Take this quote:

3-Nitrobenzanthrone, a potential human cancer hazard in diesel exhaust and urban air pollution: a review of the evidence

Epidemiological studies have shown that exposure to diesel exhaust and urban air pollution is associated with an increased risk of lung cancer. 3-Nitrobenzanthrone [3-nitro-7H-benz[de]anthracen-7-one (3-NBA)] is an extremely potent mutagen and suspected human carcinogen identified in diesel exhaust and ambient air particulate matter. The main metabolite of 3-NBA, 3-aminobenzanthrone (3-ABA), was found in the urine of salt mine workers occupationally exposed to diesel emissions, indicating that human exposure to 3-NBA due to diesel emissions can be significant and is detectable. There is clear evidence that 3-NBA is a genotoxic mutagen forming DNA adducts after metabolic activation through simple reduction of the nitro group. Several human enzymes have been shown to activate 3-NBA and its metabolites in vitro and in cells to form electrophilic arylnitrenium and rearranged carbenium ions, leading to the formation of purine adducts at the C8 and N2 position of guanine and at the C8 and N6 position of adenine. The predominant DNA adducts in vivo, 2-(2'-deoxyguanosin-N2-yl)-3-aminobenzanthrone and N-(2'-deoxyguanosin-8-yl)-3-aminobenzanthrone are also the most persistent adducts in target tissue in rodents, and are most probably responsible for the induction of GCTA transversion mutations observed in vivo. It is concluded that these adducts not only represent premutagenic lesions in DNA but are of primary importance for the initiation of the carcinogenic process and subsequent tumour formation in target tissue. Indeed, 3-NBA is carcinogenic in rats after intratracheal instillation, inducing mainly squamous cell carcinoma in lung. The intention of this article is to provide a critical review on the potential genotoxic effects of 3-NBA on human health. However, in general, there is a need for more mechanistic studies that relate 3-NBA to all processes that are considered to orchestrate tumour development and of studies on the ability of particles to promote 3-NBA genotoxicity. Because of its widespread environmental presence, 3-NBA may represent not only an occupational health hazard but also a hazard for larger sections of the general population. For an accurate risk assessment more epidemiological studies on 3-NBA-exposed individuals and a broader monitoring of environmental levels of 3-NBA are required.

Here is the link to the original text
http://mutage.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/gei057v1

And try this link

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/65/7/2644

The evidence from the journals is that 3-Nitrobenzanthrone is a potential carcinagenic compound, and it maywell be, but your argument is seriously flawed due to the manner of your claim.

Then there is this...

http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol46/46-06.html

[/b]

Freddie said:

Admittedly i have no interest in cars one bit but i still fail to see why you need huge things just to go shopping or get to work
Maybe the weight is also to do with compliance of safety rules?

kendor said:
Freddie said:

Maybe the weight is also to do with compliance of safety rules?

Actually no Kendor, there have been many cars that were 4 seaters that had very small engines but they didnt sell for many reasons but since then in the UK anyway things have changed and very small cars with small engines which would give many mpg would work for one reason and that is the speed limits, so you dont need all that extra power, but to get you to work etc they would catch on no end

Freddie said:
You do not need anything more than a few hundred cc's to get you around at great speed and economy the rest is just for lugging all the extra wieght of your not needed car.
this is what the weight in my reply was referring to.

Sponsored Links
Back