Why diesels are dangerous...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regulars already know how I feel about diesels, but whereas my usual reasons stem from the fact they are noisy and rubbish to drive compared with petrol, I have finally come up with a safety reason.

Diesels make the road dangerous.

Anyone who rides on two wheels will probably have had that "interesting" moment when riding across a petrol station forecourt, where some clot has spilled their diesel. It's not fun. Also there have been instances of locals chucking diesel on the road in order to "discourage" bikers from speeding... some have died because of this.

However, in the past I have noticed several places where I have a job pulling out onto the road in a hurry without wheelspinning. Those places are the exit roads of builders yards' car parks and my local Wickes. Why? Vans. Most vans are diesel. And when you give a diesel some welly, such as when pulling out onto a road, it spits out unburnt fuel through the exhaust downwards onto the road. That's what all the foul black smoke is. Being diesel it just kinda sits there. Making the road slippy.

I just thought it was annoying. But, as my brother entered a roundabout yesterday he found out that it is a real problem for two-wheeled vehicles. Luckily all he suffered was a dislocated thumb, although his Bonneville will need a LOT of work. One of the first people on the scene, who also witnessed, was an off-duty policeman. He didn't think my brother did anything wrong and the traffic cops he called didn't even breathalyse him (I thought they had to breathalyse everyone). Speed was appropriate, braking was timely. Bike just dropped out from underneath him.

I have seen the roundabout a few times and every time there have been vans, LGVs and HGVs queueing up to pull out (it's next to an industrial estate). So, it's no doubt dripping with diesel (perhaps this is why HGVs have elevated exhaust stacks, so they don't spit it all down onto the road?)

So there you go. If you drive diesels, not only is the airbourne benzene giving children cancer but you are also making the roads more dangerous, thus reducing the speed limits and increasing the number of speed cameras they will put up.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
increasing the number of speed cameras they will put up.

aslong as their is money to be made, speed cameras will always up go

Oh, just to point something out: I don't have a tonne of brickes in the boot of my front-wheel-drive car when pulling out of the builders yard! :!: Even if I come out of Wickes empty handed, same problem. :confused:

...........If you drive diesels, not only is the airbourne benzene .....

Where does this come from? Benzene is certainly added to petrol, but diesel?

Sponsored Links
If motorbikes were invented today they'd never be allowed on the road.

As you've just proven - they are unsafe.

joe

Adam, what rubbish you speak at times. I accept that on occasion a diesel may expel unburnt fuel that maywell adhere to the road, however so do petrol fueled cars and vehicles.

I drive a diesel Van (VW Transporter 1.9 TDi 130bhp). It burns the fuel cleanly, it is a newish vehicle (7 months) and does not chuck out ugly black smoke when accelerating..even when pushed hard.

As for performance, even loaded with about 1.8T on tools and ladders on the roof, there are not many ordinary family cars that can out accelerate it and certainly keep up with it on the Motorway should I choose to push the enevelope.

I think you have an image of diesel fueled vehicles that is based on old fashioned experiences and ideas. Most modern diesels expell less pollution, in some aspects, than other internal combusion engines (more in others) Diesel fuel is reasonably easy to clean up and low sulphur fuel makes a massive difference.

Adding greener fuels to diesel (such as Veg oil or Biodiesel) increases the engines efficiency and reduces the emmission dramatically.

I run my Van on a mixture that is 70% Low Sulphur Diesel, 29% Vegetable Oil and 1% Acetone, it's emmissions are about 15% BELOW published figures for pure Diesel. If I had some modifications made I could imrove this. It would be better had I not had the management system "chipped" by VW to give me the 130BHP and increased torque as I will be having a towbar fitted for towing soon.

Incidently, I average about 47mpg..how many cars can match that?

Big_Spark said:

mine! but then again, you are in a van

andy said:
Big_Spark said:

mine! but then again, you are in a van

What do you drive?

Incidently, before the power boost, if I drove sensibly, I could average a little over 50mpg. On long runs I am sure it was nearer 60mpg.

Big_Spark said:
It would be better had I not had the management system "chipped" by VW

I suppose that's pretty logical if you are using vegetable oil. Can't beat a plate of fries.

joe

I didnt know you were a gypo brightspark :LOL:

Diesel contains no benzine that is in petrol, also petrol cars catch fire in crashes easily.

petrol costs more and uses more energy to produce than diesel

less miles per gallon

I seem to recall that benzine was added to unleaded fuel to stop 'pinking'. It's just about as bad as the lead it replaced.

joe

Jim, there is a stretch of road where I frequently see even "modern diesels" chucking out black smoke... If you drive clockwise round the M25 from Heathrow airport, you go through the variable speed limit bit. If you are driving through with a 40 or 50, when you hit a gantry with a national speed limit sign you see people accelerating back up to 70 (or whatever they drive at), up a long hill.

Now, whilst it isn't exactly a big cloud of black smoke, you will spot many cars that give a very noticeable puff as they start to accelerate. They are the diesels. And I'm talking about new VAG, Merc, BMW diesels so they aren't exactly cheap. I don't see petrol cars doing this!

Any internal combustion engine will throw out unburnt fuel. Petrol, LPG and other highly-volatile fuels evaporate very quickly (usually before hitting the ground), "heavy oil" (aka diesel) doesn't evaporate quite so quickly. So, where a lot of diesel vehicles are giving it some welly over the same spot (such as pulling out of a side road or onto a roundabout), especially when cold (fuel condensing in the exhaust pipe) you will get an accumulation of diesel oil on the road.

I stand corrected on the benzene: i was told this by a Swede (explaining the high diesel road tax in his country), so can't blame him for giving the wrong name for a chemical compound in a foreign language! :LOL:

However, The Internet (TM) suggests that diesel exhaust IS more carcinogenic than petrol exhaust. 3-nitrobenzanthrone (THE most carcinogenic compound known to man) and 1,8-dinitropyrene (the second most carcinogenic compound known to man) are both emitted by diesel engines. So there.

Adam the only reason diesels are damaging is that they emit soot particles which are so fine they lodge in the lungs, but wieghing the good and bad diesel is far less damaging all round compared to petrol

Freddie said:
Adam the only reason diesels are damaging is that they emit soot particles which are so fine they lodge in the lungs,

Google for "diesel 3-nitrobenzanthrone", or "1,8-dinitropyrene". Or perhaps "lung cancer diesel".

There are also bits of evidence that lung cancer has diminished in the US since less people now smoke, yet a reduction in smoking in Europe has not resulted in a drop. Reason? Diesel cars aren't popular in the US, but go to any European city and there are DERV burners everywhere.

but wieghing the good and bad diesel is far less damaging all round compared to petrol

Hardly, I've never heard of someone skidding on petrol. And my brother isn't the first person to come off his bike on road-diesel! Came across a biker forum.

Freddie said:
I didnt know you were a gypo brightspark :LOL:

Freddie, will you please **** off you childish little ****, your not funny, not intelligent, your just an annoying parasite.

Sponsored Links
Back