Share with care - cycling on the pavement.

More you are seen the better imho, nothing wrong with people slowing because some cyclist is an array of flashing lights. Much better than one being hit because they weren't seen.
I agree. However, Julian has a point - aiming the light down a little will still keep the cyclist visible enough. A bit like not driving with your full beam on :)

Sponsored Links
Here's a hypothetical for you. If all households were asked to give a one off payment of £100, and every last penny of this was spent repairing potholes and creating safe cycle lanes (either on pavements or separate/adjacent cycle tracks), would you be willing to pay it?

More you are seen the better imho, nothing wrong with people slowing because some cyclist is an array of flashing lights. Much better than one being hit because they weren't seen.

A lovely argument but a fallacy IMO. HM Coastguard sticks a lighthouse on the rocks so the ships can avoid them. Sticking 20 lighthouses on the same rock won't help things.

I think this 'array' of lights thing is a willy waving exercise....

I disagree with you Julian. We're both drivers; who is clearly more obviously visible from behind - a cyclist with a single rear light or one with several on his clothing/backpack?

Sponsored Links
I disagree with you Julian. We're both drivers; who is clearly more obviously visible from behind - a cyclist with a single rear light or one with several on his clothing/backpack?

Both, my eyes can spot a single light just as surely as several. They've never failed me in 52 years, nor have I ever run up the back of a motorcycle or bike sporting a single solid light.

But specifically I'm intrigued by this modern fad of all these forward facing intense LED headlamps shining right at oncoming motorists. They screw up ones sense of spacial judgement (time and distance) and probably help trigger epileptic fits.

We'll agree to differ on the flashing orange rear view lights bit.

However, the glaring front light is clearly unnecessary, unless of course we have the luftwaffe making a belated final ditch effort of rekindling a blitz.

We'll agree to differ on the flashing orange rear view lights bit.

However, the glaring front light is clearly unnecessary, unless of course we have the luftwaffe making a belated final ditch effort of rekindling a blitz.

I think it's the fact that the riders seem to have them set to flash on and off like an indicator bulb that doesn't help.

I've managed to overcome to dazzling effects of these new HID and LED car headlamps (compared to the old Halogen) by making a determined effort to look slightly away from them so they only register in ones peripheral vision.

I thought that flashing lamps was against the law, but I expect the fad will die out before more legislation is required

An intersting comment regarding the Luftwaffe, many a bomber pilot lost control and crashed as a result of disorentation when caught in the beams of powerful search-lights, maybe this is what the modern cyclist is hoping to achieve :?: :)

1 "injured" and another 1 "hurt" as opposed to how many cyclist injured, hurt, maimed or killed on the roads...? :rolleyes:

Changing the subject a bit, what's with all these flashing LED headlamps that cyclists seem to have a fetish for nowadays?
Condensing the last few posts here :
Flashing lights stand out more, and yes it's illegal if your headlights/marker lights flash, even on a bicycle - but not if you wear them yourself even if you are the rider.
You should have a non-flashing rear light on your bike so drivers behind you can easily determine how far away you are, but a flashing light so you'll stand out. For legal reasons, the flashing light should be attached to the rider.

I'm a casual cyclist but my bike has decent front and rear reflectors, front at rear lights and I wear either a hi-vis vest or a sam-browne belt.
My bike only has space for one rear light so I chose a multiple-LED model with a flashing mode that runs a bit like the old Night Rider scanner LED, so from behind it more twinkles than flashes.

And I ride on the pavement where I can as I'm fully aware of how easy cyclists can merge into the background even with lights & hi-vis, but I take great care and always give way to pedestrians.

Sponsored Links
Back