Huge commercial bins on residential street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a perfectly normal residential street and up until recently, bins haven't been a huge problem. People put their wheelie bin out, bin collection operatives (or whatever they call themselves now) empty the bins, then ... when they get around to it, people put them back in their respective paths, or backyards, or wherever.

Unfortunately, unlike in the good old days, when the bin men actually went up your path for the bin, and then returned it back to its place, we now have, as a consequence, bins on the pavement for about 1 to 2 days of every week (at least).

However, an 'establishment' at the end of the road a few months ago was given huge commercial-type bins, like the ones you see in the back yards of pubs, and on industrial sites.

These huge monstrosities occupy half the width of the pavement. It's not so much the fact that the pavement is partially blocked (particularly with cars parked half on the pavement) that bothers me, but the fact that it's a total eyesore.

It seems no one else is bothered about this. Council couldn't care less. Police aren't in the least bit interested. Beginning to look like this is what we have to put up with in the modern world.

Unlike residents that do within perhaps 24-hours of them being emptied, do get around to moving them, the people responsible for such a thing at the church simply don't see it, as they're not there. As a result, we are now treated to the sight of these things for, what is the equivalent of about 11 months of the year. I guess that's what they call progress.

Sponsored Links
So move it yourself if it's that bothersome, I'm sure theres somewhere out the way.

I can see where you're coming from however. There are a lot of gripes that seem to be overlooked by many.

While not bins but front lawns, my neighbour has no front of property access so rather than use the driveway at the rear of his property he parks his multitude of different cars and vans (changes them weekly - no idea what's going on) across the front lawns on the road so of course, it's now a mud bath and complete eye sore. Unfortunately I can't wheel this around the back of the church.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/130
Section 130 (1) of the Highways Act 1980 imposes a duty on the Highways Authority to assert and protect the rights of the public to use and enjoy the highway. This general duty is reinforced by s.130 (3) which states that the Highway Authority have a duty to prevent, as far as possible, the obstruction of the highway.

In addition if there are disabled people hampered by the bins, then you may have an argument under the Equalities Act. Its really about collecting evidence of a nuisance and working with the Environmental Officer to get it sorted. Best angle as with complaints about speeding cars -> "think of the children". Is to ask the non-responsive public body to consider the impact on a visually impaired person.

These huge monstrosities occupy half the width of the pavement. It's not so much the fact that the pavement is partially blocked (particularly with cars parked half on the pavement) that bothers me, but the fact that it's a total eyesore.
Surely that’s classed as an obstruction or a health hazard. Have you made a formal complaint to the council or perhaps got your local councillor involved? What about cmplaining directly to the church?

If all else fails, perhaps you could express concern that local yobs may keep setting fire to it................;)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, unlike in the good old days, .... we now have, as a consequence, bins on the pavement for about 1 to 2 days of every week (at least).
Unlike the good old days when people actually looked after their area and kept it tidy.

Her's my tip: put the bins out in the morning. Take them in after they've been emptied. Tell your neighbours. It works.

Even that doesn't always work.

I've seen big houses on suburban streets which have been converted into 6 flats. Each flat has a normal domestic wheelie bin for rubbish. And one for paper and card. And one for bottles and cans. And one for garden waste.

That's 24 wheelie bins cluttering what had been the front garden and could have been off-street parking for the flats.

Beginning to look like this is what we have to put up with in the modern world.
Well it's not.

Have you, or anybody else, actually approached the people responsible for the building and asked them to move the bins back onto their property once they've been emptied?

However, an 'establishment' at the end of the road a few months ago was given huge commercial-type bins, like the ones you see in the back yards of pubs, and on industrial sites.

These huge monstrosities occupy half the width of the pavement.

... the people responsible for such a thing at the church simply don't see it, as they're not there.

Perhaps a letter to the Minister -- or some laminated notices attached to the bins:

Romans 14:13
Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.

Isaiah 57:14
"Remove every obstacle out of the way of My people."

1 Corinthians 1:23
but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,

Leviticus 19:14
'You shall not curse a deaf man, nor place a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall revere your God; I am the LORD.

1 Corinthians 8:9
But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.

Deuteronomy 27:18
"Cursed is anyone who leads the blind astray on the road."

Sponsored Links
Back