Dogs - Bin morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sat on the recliner, lazily enjoying my early morning coffee whilst watching the news on TV. I hear the bin lorry progressing it's way along the street, emptying everyone's bins. When it got to us, dog jumps up on settee by window, to watch the lorries progress. As the lorry moves on after emptying my bin, down she jumps and comes over to where I am sitting to jump up and stare at me, to go bring the bin in. She's now got me well sussed out - she knows that as soon as the lorry has emptied it, we go out to drag the bin back up the drive to put it away.

Sponsored Links
She wants to come out with you when you do... Dogs are clever and will seek any opportunity to go outside.

She wants to come out with you when you do... Dogs are clever and will seek any opportunity to go outside.

The side door, in this weather, is wide open all day long and she has complete freedom of the entire garden to wander in freely. She only follows me part way down the drive with the bin, she knows she hasn't to go too near the open gate unless told to. On a Sunday I take my 'meter reading notebook' out of the bureau, to out to read the meters, out she trots leading me to the meters. Come bedtime, she pesters me to go up - she usually sleeps on the top of the landing.

If I'm restless during the night, I sometimes get up and take her for a walk round the village off the lead. It's so quiet I can hear any vehicles long before they get near and just tell here 'lead on' and she comes to me for her lead to be hooked on.

If a dog was really clever you could open the door, shout 'fetch', and bin retrieval job solved!

Sponsored Links
If a dog was really clever you could open the door, shout 'fetch', and bin retrieval job solved!
Only if she is a big type of dog.
A small one won't be able to reach the handle.

Only if she is a big type of dog.
A small one won't be able to reach the handle.
Had a cat who figured out to open doors in the house was to jump up on the handle and use its body weight to pull it down; then nudge its nose into the gap and swing the door open. You could also play 'fetch' by chucking a beer bottle cap across the room and it would bring it back. It would sit and watch the graphic equalizer bounce along to Genesis but would turn down the volume if disco music came on the radio.
Clever kitty. I miss him.

Had a cat who figured out to open doors in the house was to jump up on the handle and use its body weight to pull it down; then nudge its nose into the gap and swing the door open.

We had a border collie teach herself to open doors by pulling the handle, she could reach without jumping. She used to sit and watch TV, she especially loved the sheepdog trials, plus the TV ad for glasses (Specsavers???), where the shepherd sheers his sheepdog - just the music to the ad was enough to get her attention. I miss that dog.

The mesh fly screen which I always have fitted at the side/back door, held closed by magnets - parts down the middle and was supposed to be stuck down the sides with velcro, to the door frame. When I first fitted it, we had two dogs and the older one (since died) always insisted on forcing his way through at the side, rather than the middle - disturbing the Velcro fixings. He never did learn.

The younger border collie soon learned to push her way through the middle. A few weeks ago, we had a visitor with their dog. It stood at the mesh looking puzzled as to how to get through, then my dog decided to go out through the mesh. Visiting dog then went back and forth a few times, perfectly happy with how it worked. This one never learned to open doors by the handle, she is far to clever and lazy for that. If a door is just pushed to, she will hook it open with her paw or her nose usually, if not she just stares at you until you open it for her. Likewise if a toy lands somewhere inaccessible for her, she just stares at you until you get it for her.

There used to be a programme called Dog Borstal (I think) and I'll never forget one of the trainers saying that they would never have a border collie because they didn't want a dog that was more intelligent than them :ROFLMAO:

There used to be a programme called Dog Borstal (I think) and I'll never forget one of the trainers saying that they would never have a border collie because they didn't want a dog that was more intelligent than them :ROFLMAO:
Extremely intelligent dogs and mostly lovely natured, but they lots of stimulation and lots of exercise, so not idea for a home pet for many people.

My Daisy does a handstand on her two front legs she wees........

that's not a joke

She really does

Sponsored Links
Back