Share with care - cycling on the pavement.

Cycling on the footpath is dangerous for pedestrians.
If there are high fences or hedges near driveways, what if somone walks out of their drive into a bike?
One argument put forward is that as the roads are now unsafe for bikes, then bikes should be allowed on the footpath. So that argument is that to save a cyclist being killed, it is acceptable to put pedestrians lives at risk.
If the roads are unsafe for bikes, get a car, or a bus, or walk.

What a bl33din idiot you are :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Pavements are fine for cyclists,,, just as long as they exercise care, keep the speed down and consider pedestrians.

They are not fine for cyclists and with respect that is a selfish argument. I live between two schools, and in morning and early evening it's dangerous walking on the footpath as the students charge along regardless of any danger to pedestrians.
They don't exercise care, they don't keep the speed down, and they don't consider pedestrians, so where does that leave us??

Stupid Tw4t

The idea is in the title Tony, "Share with care" and it is no more or less than already happens on our roads. As has been said, it works in other countries and Worcester Council obviously think the same, I'm very pleased to see.

So, with respect, it's not the idea or ethos which is bad but the attitude. I take it you think they have it wrong and pedestrians are going to be hospitalised in their droves? It's not happening mate :confused:

But very many cyclists are maimed and killed every week! Also, I read that when you get a situation where very many cyclists take to cycling it starts to regulate itself with fellow cyclists chastising the idiot element?

When an idiotic driver behaves badly other drivers and pedestrians are not on his side. And if anyone witnesses an idiotic cyclist causing an accident no one will defend him. I actually have great faith in this working well, as indeed it already is. I certainly don't see it as the doom and gloom scenario you paint for the many reasons already given.

What, apart from administrative costs, is the reason for disagreeing with number plates for bicycles?
Because that’s exactly how things like this start. It goes like this:

1) Nominal fee of 50 pence, just to cover admin costs.
2) Everyone subscribes without complaint
3) Now that it’s been ‘sold’ to us let’s play a little waiting game, so everyone accepts it and thinks it’s good... etc...

Ooh, you are a cynic BT!

There will always be taxes of one description or another and they'll be introduced and increased as long as the powers that be think they can get away with it - except for when a general election is looming, of course.

My guess at the next new tax is the reintroduction of the window tax.

Seriously, though, I stand by my earlier point: segregation. Yes, we'll have to spend more creating cycle paths and even passenger footpaths away from roads, but thinkiing that idiots will cease to exist is a forlorn hope.

Sponsored Links
Ooh, you are a cynic BT!
University of life bud. There are things which you learn only through experience. Without knowing your age, I'm betting you know this ;)

You mention window tax. Only about five years ago I went to Aston Hall where I saw a different, and similar, example of how to screw people.

Did you know about a brick tax? They, the people, tried bigger bricks but when the Gov got wind of it guess what happened?

I'll keep those who don't know in suspenders... :rolleyes:

:LOL:

FYI I'm 61, although I don't personally remember the window tax!

Ah, a kindred spirit. :)

Er, edited last post cuz it was longer ago than I first thought. Another drawback with getting older; time flies...

Aston Hall by candlelight In Brum. Or just Google brick tax.

I confess I'd never heard of brick tax.

They'll tax anything they possibly can. Fortunately, they haven't yet worked out how to tax copulation, although I wonder whether they put VAT on prostitutes' services.

I suppose I was just asking for those comments!

Changing the subject a bit, what's with all these flashing LED headlamps that cyclists seem to have a fetish for nowadays? I find these lights normally aimed squarely into the faces of oncoming motorists (me) and although I can't describe why, seem to nullify ones sense of speed and judgement especially in the wet and dark.

More you are seen the better imho, nothing wrong with people slowing because some cyclist is an array of flashing lights. Much better than one being hit because they weren't seen.

Sponsored Links
Back