New Flat Roof - Lead vs. Rephanol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to decide on what to cover our flat roof with. It will be visible from our bedroom so I want to make sure it looks nice so was looking at either lead or Rephanol.

I've been quoted 90 pounds m2 fitted for Rephanol. However then started to investigate and saw some applications dont look that great. Would lead be massively more expensive? I did a bit of research and looks like we need code 5 which is about 60 pounds per m2 - but thats obviously not a fitted price.

What are the downsides to lead v.s. Rephanol?

Really appreciate any help - been waiting for our roofer to come back for a week, but he's too busy and I need to factor in the budget.

Sponsored Links
You forgot standing seam Zinc, which carrys all of the advantages of lead (except maybe quite the lifespan) but costs less and is not a theft risk. You're right singe plys do not look the best even with the fake seams stuck on.

Ahh brilliant - thank you. I hadn't considered it. Just Googled and it looks nice.

Does Zinc go a funny colour after a few years? Or am I just thinking of copper - Grand designs springs in my head.

Would you likely know an approx cost per m2? We have around 21m to cover.

Sponsored Links
90 a m2 for Rephanol is strong money. Is that including a new deck and insulation ? Rephanol is SIG's own brand single ply, we pay about £8 m2 for the membrane.

No new deck, as we have a new warm roof going on ahead of that. However I assumed labour and Vat would be a big chunk of that price no?

Think we've been put off rephanol anyhow - the likelihood of it looking a bit ****, looks quite high!

Realised we can't have lead as we don't have sufficient height available without going for PP o raise roof for the fall required within the bays. Nothing simple and its urgent as the roof is off.

Zinc or felt are our 2 options left.

We had our low pitch roof recovered with Dryseal which is a single-ply dry fixed GRP system.

We had fake mop-sticks added to hide the fixings and give the appearance of a lead roof. Looks good. :)

Ah interesting Tipper - thanks you for replying!

Is that a fibreglass product? Google images make it look nice, just what Im after. However I had read bad things about fibreglass 'banging' when it gets hot/cold. Have you lived through all seasons with it? Is it above a room you inhabit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back