New Flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My felt roof which covers a garage and kitchen is leaking terribly (pouring in when its raining). It is 15 years old so I know it needs repairing. It is L shaped and dimensions are approx 25ft long by 20ft and 10 ft in width.
I have had a qoute saying "axter felt and lead cut into walls and remove all ridge & coping stones" The qoute was for £2,400 and a 10 yr gaurantee. This seems a bit steep but I have no idea if this is a fair price.
I have heard about having EDPM installed instead of felt ? would this be cheaper ? some wooden joists would need replacing as well which is included in the above qoute.

Sponsored Links
Looks a reasonable price to me, Single-ply membrane works out to around about £50-75 per square metre dependng on size and torch-on or 3 layer a bit cheaper. The Single-ply membranes wil generally come with a guarantee (insurance backed) of 15-20 years but should last over 30, that said other felt roof systems such as Marley Goldseal or Icopal felts are also available with longer guarantees than 10 years.

Axter is reasonable quality. Used to be Gerland years ago, and had a product called 'Sterile 2000' Guaranteed hernia lifting it, but good felt. Nice finish if you get the tweed brown as well.

Sponsored Links
Worth giving a thought to insulation over the kitchen area :idea:

By all accounts, the current b/regs (L1a) requires that you give it more than a thought - you have to upgrade the insulation to the whole roof where possible.

See the bits on renovating thermal elements in part L1a

Yes Woody, didnt forget about the 25% rule but assumed the flat roof to the kitchen would be under that % given that there is a garage sized in the dimensions given, which didnt include any size for main house roof . :oops:

Its not 25% of the total roof area for the whole house it's 25% of the roof element you are removing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back