New floodlight and camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to install outdoor lights on the exterior of my house. Please check the sketch attached - is this correct and safe for the installation?

The plan is:
  • a new fused spur will be extended from the existing circuit, i.e. an existing socket or light. The fuse is 3 or 5 amps.
  • 1.5 mm^2 flex cable will be used to wire the outdoor lights.
Can I wire the new lights to the existing socket ring main, or better to use the existing lighting circuit?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• B092BB48-6374-4296-80B8-49AA69B857DF.jpeg
    B092BB48-6374-4296-80B8-49AA69B857DF.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
Consider what it means if they get water in and fail, which can you best do without, socket supply or lighting supply? If not using RCBO's it may not matter, it may be same RCD anyway, but assess the risk.

Sponsored Links
If using the lighting supply

you are best advised to use a double pole switch to provide full isolation of the external cable and lights. If (when ) the external lamps and/or cable are damaged or water logged then the RCD on the lighting circuit will trip and you will have no lights. If you cannot isolate both Live and Neutral with a switch then will not be possible to reset the RCD until the damage to the outside light has been repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back