New floor squeaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning!

I'm approaching the end of a loft conversion, just painting and electrics left to do, to my dismay however the floor has started squeaking! It's 22mm t&g chipboard, all joints are glued and they're screwed down with 70mm screws. At first I thought it was because I'd not piloted the holes and the screw shanks were rubbing on the chipboard, but drilling pilot holes doesn't seem to have helped.

Thinking back, when I glued the joints I just put a thick bead of glue on top side of the groove, should I have put some on the underside too?

The other (probably more likely) possibility is that it's the joists that are squeaking. These are resting in the webs of the steels, with timber packed between them, these are only nailed to the joists at one end, my logic was that they needed to be able to expand and contract, in hindsight this wasn't the best idea!

Any other thoughts on what might be causing it? Whatever happens it's probably going to be a pull up floor job, which is a huge pain, but it will annoy me for ever more if I don't!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tightened up the screws with a big ratchet which helped, the floor no longer makes little cracking sounds, however the creaking remained. After much jumping up and down on the floor I managed to pinpoint the source of the creaking, one of the packing timbers between the joists was rubbing against a bolt head. When I removed the timber the creaking stopped, sadly though I had to cut the chipboard to get at it, so now I've gotta spend more time adding timber to support the edges. Oh well, at least I don't have to pull up the whole floor!

Sponsored Links
it will probably benefit from being re-tightened in a couple of weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back