New folding doors being fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please!

I am having a set of folding doors fitted 5M width.

The builders have positioned the steel etc and we agreed that to keep costs down I would sort out the cavity threshold detail.

The folding door chap has now been round and said that the dpc will need to be dropped by half a course in order to get a flush rebate/floor level.

I currently have the 5M opening with wall removed down to dpc with the existing screed being approx an inch above dpc.

Any ideas on the correct method to create this new dpc level and the best way of filling the cavity?

Would it be best if I removed a course of bricks from both the inner and outer leaf and rebuilt the outer leaf with brick slips (half brick height) and then lay extra wide dpc on this new outer leaf and form a trough and bring the wide dpc back up towards the inner leaf and up to the screed height and fill with concrete?
If this was the best method would the door frame then be screwed through the dpc and if so is that ok?

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would it be best if I removed a course of bricks from both the inner and outer leaf and rebuilt the outer leaf with brick slips (half brick height) and then lay extra wide dpc on this new outer leaf and form a trough and bring the wide dpc back up towards the inner leaf and up to the screed height and fill with concrete?
If this was the best method would the door frame then be screwed through the dpc and if so is that ok?
You seem to have a grasp on it.

However, it may look better if you remove two courses on the outside then re-build with brick-on-edge to achieve a half course step.

Thanks for your reply noseall.

When you say I have a grasp on it do you mean that's exactly how I should go about it or do you have a better idea?

I have a roll of 100mm dpc and a large piece of dpm, could I utilise one or both of these to solve the issue or do I need to go to the expense of buying some proper extra wide dpc?

Any idea's on exactly how I should go about it would be really helpful.

Sponsored Links
The trough will be ok lined with dpm. Then fill with screed and trowel smooth.

Thermal purists would argue that there is a need for a strip of insulation across the threshold but this causes trouble if you want to fit a carpet right up to the door sill.

They would then suggest you fix a threshold timber to the reveal in order to deal with this. I say concrete right up to the threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back