New french door - slight frame movement normal?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey all.
I just got french doors installed to replace my old sliding door. The frame moves very slightly when I apply pressure to it or close the door with a normal level of force. The movement has created a crack in the plaster probably 1mm thick. After paying a tonne of money to get these installed my expectations were that the frame is solid and shouldn't be moving at all.

Is it expected that there is any movement in the frame? Should I insist on getting the company back to look? (I'm thinking another screw and/or expanding foam to try and set it in place). From the installer's point of view this is normal for french doors as they're not fully supported in the middle. My argument against that is it's actually the frame that's moving and the frame should be solid even if there's a bit of give in the middle of the doors

Sponsored Links
Just Bumping this for you as we are currently arguing with our door installer with a similar problem.
He claims all plastic frames move, I claim BS.
in my eyes the frame should be securely fixed as you will never be able to final finish the wall.

Hey all.
I just got french doors installed to replace my old sliding door. The frame moves very slightly when I apply pressure to it or close the door with a normal level of force. The movement has created a crack in the plaster probably 1mm thick. After paying a tonne of money to get these installed my expectations were that the frame is solid and shouldn't be moving at all.

Is it expected that there is any movement in the frame? Should I insist on getting the company back to look? (I'm thinking another screw and/or expanding foam to try and set it in place). From the installer's point of view this is normal for french doors as they're not fully supported in the middle. My argument against that is it's actually the frame that's moving and the frame should be solid even if there's a bit of give in the middle of the doors
No the frame shouldn’t be moving… not enough to see movement on plaster

if it’s upvc the frame is less rigid than timber.

if you’ve replaced a sliding set I guess the French doors are quite wide.

With French doors there tends to be more force needed to close and get the latch to bite because one door is only closing against another, not a frame jamb

if it’s upvc it’s probably harder to get a tight fixing than timber because upvc is hollow and any slight looseness of frame fixing into frame hole would allow a bit of play

if its fixed into soft block or brick the frame fixings could be a bit loose - and if it’s a modern house the brickwork will have open cavities at door openings leaving not much room for a fixing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back