New front door not centered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is not acceptable? New front door has been fitted today, and it looks about 1.5 - 2cm away from centre. :(

The same people are here tomorrow to replace our two front bay windows, and I'm starting to worry they'll bodge the whole thing. What's the best way to approach this? I'm guessing I need to call out the problem with the door as soon as they arrive and ask they refit it?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Attachments

• 280197466_1150443289126850_5247714336742950603_n.jpg
    280197466_1150443289126850_5247714336742950603_n.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Was the whole thing replaced? Ie the frame and door? What is on the hinge side of the door?

It was pretty much back to brick, the whole thing's been replaced. It looks the same from the inside, 2cm difference vs side to another.

Attachments

• left_internal.jpg
    left_internal.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 98
  • right_internal.jpg
    right_internal.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 94
It's been fitted from inside I take it as the pvc trims outside are the original ones. The trouble here is the render is thicker on the left than it is on the right viewed from outside, not sure what the installer can be expected to do about that

Sponsored Links
It's been fitted from inside I take it as the pvc trims outside are the original ones.

That's all brand new - the previous door was a wooden door in a wooden frame.

The trouble here is the render is thicker on the left than it is on the right viewed from outside

I'm having a dim moment here I think - could you please explain where you're seeing that? I'm following the lines down from the brick arch and to the brickwork underneath, and they seem pretty straight and even to my eyes?

Thanks again for your advice,

Russ

Chip a bit of the expansion foam off where your tape is

we need to see how much gap there is between the frame and the structural opening, that’s what will answer your question

I'm not keen to start messing too much with it when I've potentially got to have a chat with them tomorrow first thing, but I've just prodded a thin bit of metal into the foam hard up against the wall and it's gone in the thickness of the door - I'm pretty confident there's nowt behind that expanding foam apart from more expanding foam.

just a thought
would centreing it cause problems with how wide open the door could go??

would centreing it cause problems with how wide open the door could go??

Oh that's a good point! We're pretty much decided as soon as they show up tomorrow, we'll just be straight up with it. "Went out last night, came back, and noticed it pretty much immediately. It's a good 2cm off of centre, and we're pretty disappointed with it." A decent explanation as to why, with some suggestions how to work around it would be better than nowt.

If its touching the brickwork either side inside or there abouts then there's no scope to move the frame to one side

I'm not keen to start messing too much with it when I've potentially got to have a chat with them tomorrow first thing, but I've just prodded a thin bit of metal into the foam hard up against the wall and it's gone in the thickness of the door - I'm pretty confident there's nowt behind that expanding foam apart from more expanding foam.
You’ve only got to knock the surface bit of foam off - and it will tell you what the gap is each side.

I’d be amazed the fitters have not done an even gap each side, so there must be a reason

If that trim on the outside is new, they've either not completely finished e.g. still got silicon to do, or if they have finished it the finishing could be better. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, I can see some gaps here and there.

Just to update where things ended up - we did raise it with the fitters the next morning, and the fella looked at it and immediately went, "Oh yes, you're right!". Somehow they fixed it, and the door is now centred (I imagine there was enough of the frame behind the render to shift it across without leaving a gap, which was my fear). Apparently they'd tried to centre the door from the inside, but with no plaster on the inside walls and tons of clearance either side, we can easily make that reet when we board and skim it.

It's not an immaculate job, they've gone a bit silly with the silicone (there were tubes of it literally flying when they were finishing up outside!), but from the inside the door and windows now look great vs what we had previously, so it'll do, now onto the next challenge. (y)

Thanks everyone for your help,

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back