New gas meter questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can any of you RGI's help. I have a form to complete for 6 new gas supplies/meters for a converted house (Into 6 flats). The form from Scotia Gas asks for the "Hourly load in kWh" and the " Annual load per premise in kWh". Does anybody know how to calculate the above?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
Can any of you RGI's help. I have a form to complete for 6 new gas supplies/meters for a converted house (Into 6 flats). The form from Scotia Gas asks for the "Hourly load in kWh" and the " Annual load per premise in kWh". Does anybody know how to calculate the above?
Thanks

boiler input what ever your spec is then x 365 for annual load if combi boilers. might be wrong but its friday so i dont care :D

The boilers are 24kW Potterton combis. Cider, I don't think that you are right as the boilers are only using 24kW when hot water is demanded.

Sponsored Links
The boilers are 24kW Potterton combis. Cider, I don't think that you are right as the boilers are only using 24kW when hot water is demanded.

you need to give them max demand figures, 6 people having a shower at 7 in morning whilst grilling kippers with the fire on!

wont cost you any more for the size of gas mains to meter bank. but dont quote me on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!still :D

One would hope that you have a CORGI registered engineer who is going to install these boilers.

It would be logical to ask him to help you complete the forms.

Its pretty simple for anyone with A level physics and probably also a good pass at "O" level. As for GCSE they seem so dumbed down that I dont think anyone who has passed one could be expected to do anything much at all.

Tony

"Hourly load in kWh"
Scotia gas get that wrong, along with Corgi and almost everyone else.
I wouldn't trust the average gas fitter either.
It's really a dumb question!

basically they do charge you extra if you require more than they supply toa single dwelling. if they have to put in a bigger pipe just for you they charge you more.

BUT if you get a typical supply you should be alright with your 24kw combis.

Perhaps the way to tell them is simply We want a 35kw combi gas oven and ILFE in each flat. and see what they say. If then you don't get sufficient working pressure for safe operation of the appliances your gas fitter can cap off the supply and call them out if he is right the onus is on them to upgrade the supply at their cost. If as I expect you do getadequate working pressure. Every body is happy.

I have this suspicion that regardless of what you put on the form for a flat or small house they provide a standard domestic supply!

I have this suspicion that regardless of what you put on the form for a flat or small house they provide a standard domestic supply!

Not so. If it is a converted house, the total gas consumption is calculated and the pipe into the building sized up to suit. If the flats have only 10kW boilers and in 10 years time they are uprated to 42kW, then the mains pipes will need uprating. They do not say, each gas meter is 6 cu meters/hr, so 10 flats so we give a pipe sized to give 60 cu metres entering the building. They should, but do not.

Hi
Thanks

The hourly load appears to be the peak load combined. The annual appears to be the average for the lot. This is for them to calculate if the mains system can cope overall. A number of converted houses in the area may mean they have to dig up 1/4 mile away to get the throughput by uprating a tee and length of pipe off the main line through the suburb, or tee into another main pipe to have to a number of inputs to the suburb - things like that.

Get back to them for clarification. They should know what the average usage is for flats anyhow. You want the mains to cope with peak demand - all full on, that's all. The rest is their problem to sort out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back