New gas supply question

9 Feb 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just been advised I need a new gas supply to my terrace property. There is an existing pipe that ran in from the front of the house, under the front room floor and exits in the understairs cupboard. The supply was live in 2005 but I have been informed its been disconnected outside of the house.

Anyway, after the new supply has been put it, the meter with be mounted externally on the front of the house. My question is, is it ok to connect from the new meter to the old pipe that runs under the front room floor, Im thinking as this was in use in 2005 so thee should be no problems with the pipe itself..

If not im probably going to be in trouble!
Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
You need an RGI to fir internal pipework for you.

He will judge if the old pipework can be used but I would expect thats unlikely but its up to him.

The meter can be in a surface mounted box if you prefer that.

Its far cheaper to go directly to Transco Nat Grid than a gas supplier. I had one done recently and whilst BG had quoted over £1000 they did it for about £347 !

thanks for the reply, had a quote from national grid which i though was very reasonable, about £180+vat if i did the front trench myself. My main concern is that with the new meter position being at the front of the house and the boiler at the back, If i cant use the existing pipe I need to work out how to get the gas pipe to the back of the house....

all good fun i suppose!
Round the house on the outside if its semi or detached.

You have not described the house or floor.

In theory the meter can go round the back which is better for gas pressures. But they dont like that because they like it visible from the street for meter reading.

Sponsored Links
its a mid terrace house, but it does have a side alley way which the pipe could be ran down....but given that there is existing pipe work running from the understairs cupboard to the kitchen for the boiler, it would be ideal to be able to go from the meter to the cupboard...
I went to a house in Vaughan Str in Leicester last week with the gas supply going through the side passage to the back.

It all depends on what your RGI advises about the existing gas pipe inside.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local