New Grill Element tripping fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new grill element in the oven. It was purchased from partmaster as an alternative to the original part (that isnt available anymore).

Anyhow, I put it in and turned the grill on, and it was warming up then the Cooker Fuse (Contactum 7132B) in the consumer unit tripped, which made the RCD Fuse (Contactum B8003/2) trip too.

I checked that the earth was connected and it was, I did notice however that the wattage rating on the new element is 2400W whereas the old element had a rating of 1200W. I'm not sure whether this would make any difference, and if not have I been sent a faulty grill element?

Help?

Sponsored Links
the new element is 2400W whereas the old element had a rating of 1200W

A 2.4kW element is NOT a replacement part for a 1.2kW element. You need to get the right one.

This is the orignal part (that partmaster list) and the alternative which I've tried.

For reference the Oven model is a Phillips AKG306/BV/02

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=276722&query=akg306/bv/02 &model=akg306/bv/02

its interesting that the description mentions 2400 (1200 + 1200) Watts. The new grill element has 2400w stamped on it, whereas the old one has 1200w. I'm beginning to think the old one is 600 + 600?

Sponsored Links
It must be a dual grill element. Does your grill control go both ways (ooh err missus!) so one way you have one element in circuit, then the other you have both?

Stoves grills are like this.

Ring the manufacturer for confirmation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back