New grout problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last August had about 100sq meters tiled, and when the tiler had finished noticed that the grout was drying at different shades of grey.

I had the lounge, hallway, dinning kitchen, utility and bathroom floors tiled and also the walls in the bathroom tiled floor to ceiling. Told the tiler I wanted the mid grey colour from grout 3000 range but he went and used a grey colour from ardex. The colour should look light grey but all my grout is in different shades of grey. The tiler said it was caused by efflorescence and tried to clean with acid but this has made no effect.

The tiler is coming back on Friday with a rep from the grout company to find out what has gone wrong. I have also noticed I am now getting pin holes forming in some parts of the grout and have noticed some tiles where the edges have a white line forming. Another thing I've noticed that the grout doesn't have a smooth finish it's sort of a gritty/rough finish. Not like the grout 3000 I saw in the tile shop.

Has my tiler messed up? He did offer to paint the grout which I've declined.

Friends and family that have popped over have commented that the grout look like it was layed over 10years ago.

Sponsored Links
wait and see what the rep says, obviously the tiler is concerned with regards to the grout quality otherwise they would not have rep coming.

Sounds like the grouts been mixed incorrectly causing efflorescence.

Universeal Grout Rescue Colour & Seal (what you described as the pen) is a problem solver in this situation.

Universeal-Grout-Rescue-Colour-&-Seal-(Colour-Selector-Chart)-2.jpg

(ps, never seen efflorescence with TM Grout 3000, best grout available IMHO)

Thanks for the feedback chaps,

I am been charged £6500 for this job and for obvious reasons have withheld payment until the tiler sorts out the problem.

This grout rescue product is it any good? Will it fade or washout over time? Or is it designed to work on grout that was originally the proper colour and just gone dirty over time? Don't want to give the tiler cheap option to fix if he's at fault considering how much he is charging me.

Been back to the shop where I bought the tile to see if they have had any issues with the tiles, none reported by customers and they still selling the tiles. They have advised me to get the tiler to re-grout the whole area.

Will give an update after Friday once the grout rep and tiler has been, also the builder is comming who had contracted the tiler.

Sponsored Links
If the grouts rough rather than smooth, then it hasn't been mixed properly. Not enough water used to get it smooth, and I suspect he's mixed it and started working with it straight away.

Update.

It was decided with the rep from 'ardex' that it wasn't efflorescence as I had light and darker patches than the actual colour. We are now waiting from technical department to come and do a site visit and test the grout.

Holly I think it would be best to wait until the tech department get back as to what went wrong and then decide the best way to remedy the situation
We can all have theories and personal grout favourites ,I like using Bal but will use what a customer asks with some aprehension because one becomes use to how a particular product works .Wether it be the mix, the consistency or how it is applied .
I am sure there is a logical conclusion and remedy for your issues ,good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back