New hallway lighting issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there recently I bought a 2nd hand light fixture for our hallway this particular unit uses G9 Halogen bulbs now the wiring for this has 3 blue wires going to a screw terminal connector with the same with 3 brown wires and a thick earth wire.

now from my ceiling I have the same 3 neutral and 3 live wires my question is do I only use 1 of each type when making the connection but when I did that and had the wall switch off and turned the breaker on the light went on and upon switching the wall switch which popped and is now dead can some explain weather the neutral and live wiring On the light is coloured wrong and I reversed polarity if you need more info I can try provide it I will include photos.

kind regards

Jay

Attachments

• 10192BA1-61B1-4119-970B-F4677BFBFF71.jpeg
    10192BA1-61B1-4119-970B-F4677BFBFF71.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 5CAA020C-F342-48E4-B483-07E329DFAB66.jpeg
    5CAA020C-F342-48E4-B483-07E329DFAB66.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 276
Sponsored Links
Did you remove the existing ceiling rose which was there and simply put the different coloured wires together in three separate terminal blocks?

I removed the rose yes and on the picture of the ceiling wires those terminal blocks were on the new light fixture I just removed the wires to the light and left them up there rather than have exposed wires but as the previous rose light used all the wires shown I uses all wires for this one.

The 2 blues are your neutrals which the blues on your light go to.

The blue wire with brown sleeving is the switched live which goes to the browns of the light

The brown stay connected together with no cables from the light connected.

The green/yellows go to the green/yellow of the light.

Sponsored Links
I removed the rose yes and on the picture of the ceiling wires those terminal blocks were on the new light fixture I just removed the wires to the light and left them up there rather than have exposed wires but as the previous rose light used all the wires shown I uses all wires for this one.

You didn't examine or mark the cables before you unwired them I see.

If you had you would of spotted the wires don't go together as shown, all you have done is create a short with the light switch which will cause the fuse to trip as soon as you turn the switch on

You can put them together as mdbalson says or because you clearly don't know what you are doing when it comes to electricity or wiring I would not touch it and get in a spark to sort , it won't cost you a lot

So the 2 browns that don’t go to the light shall I wrap in electrical tap and move in the ceiling?

Also I would have called a spark out but with everything going on I have to self isolate due to having a compromised immune system I haven’t left the house in 3 months and not being paid properly means I can’t hire someone yeah I know there excuses but it’s all I can do

In fact ideally it all needs to go into a maintenance free junction box with a single wire coming out of the ceiling which you use to connect the light fitting too

In other words you are moving the ceiling rose into the ceiling but replacing it with a junction box , this has the luxury of making changing the light fitting much simpler next time

Thank you for the visual and is this the junction box that’s been recommended?

Attachments

• 316BBB9E-4969-4734-8874-DF6C065E5E03.png
    316BBB9E-4969-4734-8874-DF6C065E5E03.png
    279.3 KB · Views: 212
In fact ideally it all needs to go into a maintenance free junction box with a single wire coming out of the ceiling which you use to connect the light fitting too

They are only "maintenance free" if the wires are clean straight copper and fitted properly into the terminals.

As the OP lacks experience in electrical working it is questionable as to whether the junction would be "maintenance free". Hence having the connection in the lamps and visible for inspection may in this case be the better / safer option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back