New hardwood exterior door painting tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just joined, nice to be here.

We have just purchased a new hardwood front door and would like some tips on preperation and whats best paint to use please.
We want to use white gloss, if we buy weatherproof paint do will still need to prep the door beforehand?
Thanks in advance for you help.

Jay

Sponsored Links
Firstly and working with the grain lightly sand and dust off then apply an Aluminium Primer, doing this will offer good protection and seal any resinous bleed. As far as paint systems are concerned go for trade products, eg. Johnstones/Leyland, Dulux, or Crown, just bear in mind that on an interior application the oils will tend to yellow.

Ps, you will also need to use an undercoat after the primer again go for trade products, and dont forget to lightly sand between coats.

Dec

another way to go will be instead of aluminium primer to use a knotting solution applied to the knots then use a microporus primer undercoat and gloss to let the wood breath. i tend to use either leyland microporus or dulux weathershield.

and yes you always have to prep!!!

And another method would be to after priming and undercoating, give it one coat of Crown Solo.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Got a chap fitting it now, he says its a veneered door, does this make a difference?
Also no knots

MMmmm, just noticed on the instructions that came with the door, it says this door is not suitable for waxing, polishing,varnishing or treatment with oils.

I agree about using Aluminium Wood Primer. It is very durable for outdoor work especially on hardwoods which can be oily. In your case the ability to seal knots and resin, which it also does, will probably not apply.

If your door is veneered, you will need to pay special attention to sealing all cut or planed edges, especially the top and bottom which are out of sight and often omitted, but are especially prone to damp getting in. It is easiest to paint these before the door is fitted, which will be difficult if you are not DIYing as the joiner will not want to spread the job out. If it is not too late, see if you can have lift-off hinges fitted. These make it much easier to take off and repaint in future (hardwood doors are very heavy)

A veneered door was probably intended to be stained or varnished. If you are painting it there is no point in paying for the veneer.

BTW good call to paint it white. Black-painted doors get very hot on sunny days and this leads to premature breakdown and paint cracking.

edit:
those warnings probably mean the makers are worried the glue will be softened by oil and the veneer might fall off.

if its just veneer follow thedec's advice except using aluminium primer as it would not be needed. just use an ordinary wood primer. remember to sand with a fine grit sandpaper. you do not need to use a microporus system for a veneered door.

aluminium wood primer is very durable and this is worth having on outdoor joinery.

don't get me wrong aluminium primer is durable but i tend to use a manufacturers approved paint system on bare wood to ensure that i am covered with regards to the guarantee of the product.

I always use Cuprinol Clear on outside joinery, but in view of the makers warnings, I would check with them that it is compatible with your veneered door.

It might have been treated during manufacture, but this will be lost on any cut edges during fitting.

If it is OK to use, treat the top and bottom very well. Leave it for several days to dry before starting to paint.

Cuprinol wood preserver then paint, would that be ok?

If the door is veneer you should first apply a bonding primer such as Dulux super or ultra grip primers or Zinsser Bullseye 123, and there would be no need to sand, dont forget the advice offered by JohnD with regard to the edges.

Dec

So aluminium wood primer then a good white gloss would be the way to go?
Really appreciate all your help guys

don't get me wrong aluminium primer is durable but i tend to use a manufacturers approved paint system on bare wood to ensure that i am covered with regards to the guarantee of the product.

I understand your concerns with complying with the manufacturer's instructions but sometimes you have to apply a bit of judgement elrobbo. As a competent tradesman within you field it is expected that you have the skill base, knowledge and experience to think outside the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back