Exterior hardwood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has had some lovely hardwood doors fitted to his extension and wants to protect them with something. Firstly he said he wants to paint them!! I am trying to talk him out of it as they look too nice to paint. IF he was to paint them what is the best primer to use? International do a good one with the alu flakes in but I can only find it in grey?? To emphasise the beauty of the wood what is the best exterior treatment that will soak in and protect them but also look nice?

Sponsored Links
the problem with clear or translucent treatments on exterior hardwood is that it tends to erode and needs frequent maintenance.

traditional or "Yacht" varnish is very bad for this as it really needs to be sanded off to the wood every few years, it cracks and goes white where the weather goes under it.

On my hardwood doors I have used flexible stains like Woodsheen (sp?) by Dulux. This looks good and lasts well where it is protected by the open porch, but the doors opening onto the garden,and exposed to the weather, get eroded quite quickly.

I tried applying Linseed Oil to the exposed hardwood (instead of paint or varnish) and I am very pleased with it. A big plus point is that it soaks in and when you recoat it, you do not have a hard layer to sand back. It is very wearisome to sand panelled doors with their fancy mouldings, and you have to do it with hand and use your fingers,so I have found the linseed good.

If he wants to paint them (which will be less trouble) the Aluminium Wood Primer adheres well to hardwood (which can be oily) and you do not need knotting. It is grey in colour, not silver. I would always go for a flexible/breathing paint system on external wood if you have to gloss paint it, and there may be a special flexible primer to go with it.

Avoid dark colours as they get hot in the sun and this leads to a short life.

You can also use water-based stains as used on sheds and fences, I used these on my garden gate and some teak trim,it lasts well and is very easy to recoat. With several coats it gives a satin sheen and is translucent but not glossy or clear. It repels water well. Not all water stains are suitable for smooth wood so check the label. IIRC Cuprinol do a good one. i usually go for the dark brown ones as I have not found a Mahogany sort of colour.

Sikkens HLS base coat and Filter 7 top coat - if the wood is to be seen. 7 year lifespan, with only a maintenance coat of Filter 7 required - if applied correctly to manufacturers instructions. Sadolin also do an offering called Ultra that works in the same manner.

If painting, Id consider Sandtex Xtra - eggshell or gloss. Both require a flexible primer.

A further option would be Sadolin Supadec as an alternative to gloss - very flexible finish.

I've had Sadolin, but it is very expensive and I don't think it looks very good (dull and opaque).

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
It'll probably be the oil route I would've thought. So is Linseed oil the best option for this job, be it raw or boiled? I've heard that tung oil is good??

I've heard good stories about Tung, but Linseed is cheap and readily available in my small town at any hardware or DIY shop. It has quite a pleasant mild smell.

BTW you can use a spirit-based stain (like Ronuk (sp?)) first, to give an attractive even colour before you oil it. I wanted to match mahogany doors.

I also used Cuprinol Clear first to protect against rot, though I expect some people will say oiled timber dooesn't need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back