New heating setup for flat renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Very unoriginal topic – heating setup for a flat refurbishment. No doubt the builders I choose for the work will advise, but with a million things to think about I’d like to be as well-informed as I can be!

So I have an upper ground floor flat in a Victorian conversion that I’ll be completely renovating (ripping everything out). 3 bed 2 bath, 1 of the bathrooms will be moved so new plumbing will come in anyway. Existing setup is a Potterton system boiler and Range Tribune unvented cylinder. (If relevant, they’re quite far away from each at the moment, 5 or 6 metres apart, cylinder in the hallway cupboard, boiler in the kitchen). All working well, but given I’m renovating and they’re 15+ years old, makes sense to renew everything. Flow rate I get out of my kitchen tap and shower seems very good, so I guess water pressure isn’t an issue.

The flat is 130sqm, I’ll be doing (water) underfloor heating throughout. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom & 1 shower room. Living there by myself, but that’s kind of irrelevant as that’s unlikely to remain the case, either for me or for future buyers if I sell it, so don't want to limit myself.

So obvious choice would be to stay with an unvented system. From the research I’ve done, there isn’t a huge difference between main brands of cylinder. The OSO Super S seems to be generally highly regarded, neat and tidy, not outrageously expensive, so I’d probably go for the 180L version and a Worcester Bosch or Vaillant boiler.

However, there is a space issue. I can fit these in no problem, but they obviously take a decent amount of space which I could potentially use for other things. I’m trying to understand whether a larger combi like the floor-standing Worcestor Bosch Highflow could do, if not an equally good job, a very good job for my setup. It’s unlikely that 2 showers and the washing machine/dishwasher will be going at the same time, but would the Highflow be able to cope with 2 showers simultaneously with decent flow?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
First, and most importantly, get the flow rate, static and dynamic pressures checked. If possible do this at times of peak demand and off-peak - important as you may have a shared supply as a result of the conversion.

Until you've established high/low pressures & flows everything else is guesswork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back