Advice on water heating for flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refurbishing a flat I bought for my inlaws some 30 months ago. They've since died and my intention now is to sell the property.

The place is in quite good nick (purpose built) but it does need some updating. Currently it has a vented direct water cylinder. I wanted to have fitted an unvented direct cylinder but as the cylinder is located in the centre of the flat, and the floors are cast concrete, it would be right pain to run a pressure relief pipe to the outside. There's nowhere else to fit the cylinder. I was keen on an unvented cylinder because I wanted good pressure at the shower head and taps. The flat's heating is provided by modern storage heaters, which I'd like to keep.

So am I stuck with an vented cylinder and an electric shower? I really don't want to go to the expense (about £5000) to convert the entire flat to gas combi plus rads. Is there another option? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you go with a combi, (like in your last line) then you won't need a cylinder.:cool:

If there is a bathroom close by then all you have to do is take the pressure release pipe in copper to a "f a n n y" and after that it can all be in plastic and join up with the waste system in the bathroom.

Tony

Oh and get the five grand out of your head. Not all installs cost that much.
Get a few quotes and glee some information from them.
Oh and go with a registered installer, not a mate of a friends friend ;)

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
If there is a bathroom close by then all you have to do is take the pressure release pipe in copper to a "f a n n y" and after that it can all be in plastic and join up with the waste system in the bathroom.

Tony

The bathroom is 3 feet away. The plumber/Corgi fitter who advised me said that the relief pipe would have to run from the unvented cylinder on one level (ie no rises or falls) to the outside wall and then down the wall to a drain. He was adamant that it could not be routed into the existing waste. This would mean cutting a 14 foot long trench through cast concrete across the hallway and bathroom floors. Needless to say I was a little downhearted by this.

Well now you can tell him that he can do it with a f a n n y.

Not everyone knows about them though!

I have to admit I only found out about them not that long ago.

Tony

dobbo996 said:
The bathroom is 3 feet away. The plumber/Corgi fitter who advised me said that the relief pipe would have to run from the unvented cylinder on one level (ie no rises or falls) to the outside wall and then down the wall to a drain. He was adamant that it could not be routed into the existing waste. This would mean cutting a 14 foot long trench through cast concrete across the hallway and bathroom floors. Needless to say I was a little downhearted by this.

PRV pipe work MUST have a continous fall from a minimum of 300mm beneath the tundish all the way to the outlet. Can discharge into a hopper and in some cases onto a tiled roof, as long as the roof is long enough for the discharged water to be deemed to have cooled enough by the time it reaches the end of the roof and is visible.

gas4you said:
dobbo996 said:

PRV pipe work MUST have a continous fall from a minimum of 300mm beneath the tundish all the way to the outlet. Can discharge into a hopper and in some cases onto a tiled roof, as long as the roof is long enough for the discharged water to be deemed to have cooled enough by the time it reaches the end of the roof and is visible.

I concur

just keep the tundish as high as it will go and you should have about 2 ft to play with height wise if you go unvented

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back