New Heatline Boiler - CH Perfect but no DWH

The boiler is a non condensing combi which gives about 8 litres per minute in normal use.

You need to measure the flow rate of the shower !

Its quite possible that you have chosen a thermostatic shower which always supplies a proportion of cold water. These are not really suitable for use with a combi boiler regardless of what the maker may say.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile says "These are not really suitable for use with a combi boiler regardless of what the maker may say. "

I have a Trevi Therm shower that works brilliantly with my combi, but I too have installed a thermo shower which never gave enough hot in spite of adjusting it, and the boiler having plentyof capacity :rolleyes: You try and do yer best and it all goes T**s up sometimes :cry:

Alfredo

Seems there are several problems here.

First one being the boiler is bog standard 24kw unit that will supply just under 10l per minute at 35 degree C temperature rise. Even if the water out of the cold pipes is at 10 degree C, boiler should still output approx 10l at 45 degree C.
I would be looking at the gas line to see if indeed it can deliver the gas boiler needs.

Glasgow water out of cold tap can be around 4 degrees C when outside is baltic.

Shower is another issue. 24kW boiler will not even break out in a sweat to supply an average shower. Your problem is likely to be plumbing.

Cheers for the advice lads.

Here is the Shower:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Modern-Thermo...3QQihZ012QQcategoryZ42347QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Had an Engineer say all was well with the Gas at the boiler (he ran a meter of sorts on it)

I bought the boiler as part of a heat pack deal (with rads etc). Through inexperience I presumed that any Combi will be able to cope with at least one tap, and the 24kw would be fine for only 6 rads (which it is).

Its not just the shower thats the problem tho. I can get scalding hot water out of the kitchen tap but only if I search for a specific point on the mixer. If its fully open (hot side) its lukewarm. By turning it down it heats up for a bit before going to the cold side

What other plumbing issues could it be assuming the gas is fine?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Got some instructions for the shower today.

It needs 60c but the boiler is only putting out 40c at best :confused:

Anyone know what temp the boiler is meant to put out?

Meant to be moving in next week :eek:

The ad leaflet says it can chuck water out at 85ºC
I wouldn't expect 10 l/m at that temp, maybe you could get 5 l/m
I know it sounds daft but have you turned the dial up on the front to call for hotter water?

Turned off the cold supply to the shower today and ran it purely on the DHW from the boiler (boiler is fed from a different cold supply) and it made zero difference.

Can you turn off the cold water into the boiler AND this cold into the shower and see if you still get water out of the boiler. You should get nothing!

If you get any water then you have a cross fed cold supply.

Your Heatline boiler is designed not to give more than 60 ° C hot water and if much flow is taken it will be close to 45 ° C.

Tony

The_Scotty,

You state that the heating is fine without any problems and you 'bought the boiler as part of a heat pack deal (with rads etc)', yes? So its just a thought but... Are we looking at poor quality taps here? The picture you posted was of an eBay auction. Did all your taps come from eBay?

You say a Corgi has checked the boiler and can find no problem. When turning on the kitchen tap there is a point where you can get very hot water? I'd be tempted to disconnect the DHW supply to one of the hot taps connect a decent tap to the tap connector and just try running it to see what the temp is like... Its just a thought :idea:

Slugbabydotcom said:
The ad leaflet says it can chuck water out at 85ºC
:oops: Without checking specifically, I believe that what I wrote above was not exactly right. :oops: It's unlikely that any boiler would be designed to chuck out hot water at 85ºC on the DHW side
As Tony states 60ºC would be more appropriate

Thanks for the comments.

Agile, yes I can do that and I will try it when I'm next at the flat.

Blasphemus, yes the heating works perfectly well. The boiler came as part of a package of boiler, 7 rads, trvs etc for a set price. Not the greatest boiler I know but I thought it would be adeqaute for what I require.

As it turns out all the taps I have are from Ebay, i didn't know you could could buy a poor quality tap :oops:

The boiler was checked over buy a Corgi who said all was well @ boiler. At the kitchen tap there is a point where very hot water is possible. That point is dificult to find and not always consistent. ie it can run hot the cool a bit. I can't get any heat like that at the shower, even with the cold supply off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back