New home for the Ohms symbol ?

Strange. I presume that you are talking about 'within the same writing/editing session', and also that you left the
View attachment 327541
visible prior to the last step?

Kind Regards, John
Yes exactly so.

1704218012179.png

Hover shows as black or white text box
1704218103805.png

And the click shows the result
1704218169171.png

1704218276061.png

1704218221130.png

1704218327441.png

1704218363952.png

1704218439568.png

Produces: π
1704218582064.png

To be continued

Sponsored Links
Continuing due to limit of attachments and repeating the whole line of events to get to
1704218900777.png

1704218953033.png

1704218986752.png

1704219055805.png

1704219164110.png

produces: π
1704219257072.png

1704219290005.png

The result of repeating all of that without additional comments: ππ Hopefully it makes sense and it can be seen that it defaults back to Latin page each time.

The result of repeating all of that without additional comments: ππ Hopefully it makes sense and it can be seen that it defaults back to Latin page each time.
If I understand all that correctly then, yes, it appears to be as you say - but that's definitely different from what I'm experiencing. If, after having selected (and 'used') the 'Greek' page, but leaving the ...
1704221455657.png

... still present, subsequent clicking on that "Special Characters" ("Ω") thing opens up the Greek page again, not the 'Latin' one.

... so goodness knows why we are experiencing different behaviours.

Would anyone else care to tell us what they are experiencing?>

Kind Regards, John

If I understand all that correctly then, yes, it appears to be as you say - but that's definitely different from what I'm experiencing. If, after having selected (and 'used') the 'Greek' page, but leaving the ...
View attachment 327584
... still present, subsequent clicking on that "Special Characters" ("Ω") thing opens up the Greek page again, not the 'Latin' one.

... so goodness knows why we are experiencing different behaviours.

Would anyone else care to tell us what they are experiencing?>

Kind Regards, John
Yes, each time I click on 'Special Characters' it opens the 'Latin' page

Sponsored Links
But then there are choices once you click on the special characters menu.

If I pick a special character, it publishes my post, before I've finished writing it!
For reference, I only post on here from my Android phone - and I have no idea if anyone else has the same issue!
That's why it's far easier for me to write mm2, instead of

...and then I have to edit the post

...and it still doesn't work, so I settle for Ohms!

It happens as soon as I press the icon for any other page of symbols...

Screenshot_20240102-193140_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
If I pick a special character, it publishes my post, before I've finished writing it!
For reference, I only post on here from my Android phone - and I have no idea if anyone else has the same issue!
That's why it's far easier for me to write mm2, instead of

...and then I have to edit the post

...and it still doesn't work, so I settle for Ohms!

It happens as soon as I press the icon for any other page of symbols...

View attachment 327587
Unless it changed since I dabbled, it appears you are not using the App or not got it set to 'mobile' or something. It must be 10 years since I used a phone for this so I really don't know what changes have happened.

Ω
To get alt+234 to result in Ω (as above), I had to change my Windows "System Locale" to "English(US)".

There are also various other alt codes which may result in a Ω character/symbol with certain configurations of Windows, including ...
alt+937alt+939alt+1002

None of those work for me, apart from ALTCR 234 producing a €.

Can I offer a suggestion? If you copy and paste all of the symbols you might frequently use in this forum, into your sig line, add a post or start a thread, post it, then click edit - your sig complete with symbols, available to copy and paste.

If I pick a special character, it publishes my post, before I've finished writing it! ... For reference, I only post on here from my Android phone - and I have no idea if anyone else has the same issue! 1
As I said, I cannot speak for (and have not been writing about) anything other than Windows, but it sounds as if what you are experiencing with Android is the same that eric reported when he wrote:
.... for some reason trying to use the special characters on my tablet seems to result in posting reply, so tend to use ohms instead of Ω.

Kind Regards, John

None of those work for me, apart from ALTCR 234 producing a €.
That doesn't surprise me -as I wrote,m these things appear very dependent on the OS and its configuration.
Can I offer a suggestion? If you copy and paste all of the symbols you might frequently use in this forum, into your sig line, add a post or start a thread, post it, then click edit - your sig complete with symbols, available to copy and paste.
One could do that. However, it's only really an issue if one wants to use the same symbol multiple times in a post and, as i said,is such cases I do the 3/4 clicks just once, and then "copy + (multiple) paste" to all the places I need it, which is only fractionally more complicated or time-consuming than what you suggest.

Kind Regards, John

I've mostly been using windows 11 for a while, I've just checked on a window 10 and a windows 8 machine and they both remember the last page used, just as John describes.

Unless it changed since I dabbled, it appears you are not using the App or not got it set to 'mobile' or something.
Thank you, you've just prompted me to experiment.
Yes, I dont use the App.
It's the same result when I use different browsers.
However, swapping to the desktop site works properly, but is completely unusable on a 5 3/4" screen!
As I said, I cannot speak for (and have not been writing about) anything other than Windows, but it sounds as if what you are experiencing with Android is the same that eric reported when he wrote:
Thank you for pointing that out, and apologies to Eric, for not noticing that in his post.

I've mostly been using windows 11 for a while, I've just checked on a window 10 and a windows 8 machine and they both remember the last page used, just as John describes.
Ah. Maybe that's why I've been keeping away from Windows 11 !

... and, anyway, what happened to the assertion we once heard that Windows 10 would be "the last ever version of Windows" ? ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back