Symbols

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I often find myself looking at the various symbols on electrical/electronic items and wondering what they all mean. A good example is an ELV lighting transformer/PSU, such as:
Apart from the 'double insulation' one, I'm not certain what any of them mean, although I think the one with intersecting circles and a line probably indicates input/output isolation. Try as I may, I've not been able to find where these symbols derive from, so I have not been able to find a 'key' to them. So, can anyone tell me where/how to find such a 'key' and/or explain what the ones in the above piccie actually mean. Ta!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
John, correct on the intersecting circles It means that the product control (primary & secondary) can not (under reasonable conditions) connect together (short circuit) the 110 in the triangle is related to the construction requirements for electronic lighting control gear BS EN 61347-2-2

All of the symbols are shown/listed on the BSI website (IIRC) I can't look them up at the moment but I am certain they are all there.

Sponsored Links
John, correct on the intersecting circles It means that the product control (primary & secondary) can not (under reasonable conditions) connect together (short circuit) the 110 in the triangle is related to the construction requirements for electronic lighting control gear BS EN 61347-2-2
Thanks. Holmslaw has reminded me that many of these are in 559 of the regs - which leads me to ask, in the case of the 'intersecting circles', what on earth is meant by "short-circuit proof (both inherently and non-inherently"?!

All of the symbols are shown/listed on the BSI website (IIRC) I can't look them up at the moment but I am certain they are all there.
For nothing? My experience of the BSI website is that it usually only exchanges information for a credit card number (which, as others have said, I think it a bit daft for Standards with which they want people to comply)!!

Kind Regards, John.

For nothing? My experience of the BSI website is that it usually only exchanges information for a credit card number (which, as others have said, I think it a bit daft for Standards with which they want people to comply)!!

Kind Regards, John.

Register with your local library. A large number of documents will be available to you free of charge.

Oh yes, that is true and they add nothing of real value other than making a weak attempt at relating certain docs to one another. I'm just looking at their document ENB3347-3 (control gear for lighting) now and it shows most if not all of the symbols

The F in a triangle is related to IP rating but I need to read more to understand what "F" actually means in terms of IP rating. The symbol that appears to the right of ELV in your image means "independent lamp control gear" Can't find the "M" at the moment but will keep looking.

I'm working on a "dumb-phone" at the moment, looking at at a local file on my phone, but will try to post the doc when I get home.

The F in a triangle is related to IP rating but I need to read more to understand what "F" actually means in terms of IP rating.
According to 559 of regs, the 'F' in an inverted triangle means "Luminaire suitable for direct mounting on normally flammable surfaces".

The symbol that appears to the right of ELV in your image means "independent lamp control gear" Can't find the "M" at the moment but will keep looking. I'm working on a "dumb-phone" at the moment, looking at at a local file on my phone, but will try to post the doc when I get home.
Thanks.

Kind Regards, John.

Some more about the F in triangle symbol. Seems it is not IP rating as such.

When a luminaire is provided with the symbol
F
, this denotes that it is suitable for direct
mounting on normally flammable surfaces. Normally flammable surfaces are defined to include
building materials such as wood, and materials based on wood, of more than 2 mm thickness.
Originally the relevant luminaire requirements applied only to luminaires incorporating a ballast
or transformer. Since the use of the symbol
F
, has received wide acceptance over the last
ten years, the use of the symbol is extended to cover all luminaires, including luminaires for
incandescent lamps

Thermally protected ballasts are marked with the symbol
P
or
. The dots are replaced by
the rated maximum case temperature in °C when the protector opens the circuit.
Thermally protected ballasts with the symbol
P
or
with values up to and including 130 °C
provide complete protection of the luminaire mounting surface without any additional measures
in the luminaire being necessary. This implies compliance on a time related basis with the
maximum case temperature permitted under abnormal conditions i.e. 130 °C, and, under failed
ballast conditions, with a mounting surface temperature not exceeding 180 °C.
Thermally protected ballasts with a symbol
with values above 130 °C have to be checked in
combination with the luminaire as specified for luminaires with a thermal protector external to
the ballast

For example, what is the M in an inverted triangle (and why is it present twice in the piccie I posted?!)?

Aha!!

single M in inverted triangle = The device is suitable to be installed in or attached to furniture whose behaviour in fire corresponds
to standard flammable building materials within the context of DIN 4102 Part 1. The materials can be
laminated, veneered or varnished.

double M in inverted triangle = The device is suitable for installing on or in furniture which is made from materials with unknown
flammability properties

Aha!!
single M in inverted triangle = The device is suitable to be installed in or attached to furniture whose behaviour in fire corresponds
to standard flammable building materials within the context of DIN 4102 Part 1. The materials can be laminated, veneered or varnished.
double M in inverted triangle = The device is suitable for installing on or in furniture which is made from materials with unknown
flammability properties
Many thanks. It seems to require application of a rather strange type of logic to get to the meaning of by having two instances of the symbol which denotes [a]!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back