New home worries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time poster, hopefully you can advise.
I moved into a house almost 4months ago & it's been a complete nightmare, noticing new cracks all over the place, mostly all hairline though. Noticed the other day a lintel has a hairline crack through it which I'm pretty sure has only appeared recently. On top of this the house is so loud, I'm waking up a number of times through the night with various bangs, creaks & clicks in the wall, the house is only 15years old. Was awaken by the noise at link below on Friday morning, anyone have any idea what this could be? It was coming from the ceiling right above my bed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HDUhRnLDAnM3JpeWJxRDNGOVk/view?usp=docslist_api

I've had one surveyor from work come round with his colleague & they both say there's nothing to worry about, & a building inspector who I know who also says it's fine. I'll upload some pictures when I get back there shortly. So stressed at the minute only getting 5 or so hours sleep a night & having to wear earplugs. Oh another thing, I've been woken up & been fairly sure the bed/room is shaking, wasn't sure if this was from stress or not, but my sister has stayed over with her boyfriend & have both said the same thing :(

Thanks in advance.

Edit - forgot to say, I've got my laptop on in the background there, the sound of that was loud enough for me to hear/watch so it should give some perspective of how loud the creaking was.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Haven't had a chance to listen to the sound but in general, hairline cracks are nothing to worry about. It is only if they continue to get bigger that you worry.

We had a "new build" which was about 10 years old when we bought it. Every night as the building cooled a few of what I assume were some of the joints in the ceiling or wood frame would bang and creak as they readjusted.

Oh another thing, I've been woken up & been fairly sure the bed/room is shaking, wasn't sure if this was from stress or not, but my sister has stayed over with her boyfriend & have both said the same thing :(

Sounds like you may need a priest, or an exorcist.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Plastic rainwater goods make a noise when they expand and contract with variations in temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back