new home...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but I got some great disasters!!.. I've just bought the home I live in now but when I moved in to find out that I'm still on the old electric board!!... not that it was wired up wrong but I've come to find out that the last owners did some great botches!!.

Kitchen, they managed to wire up the electric cooker switch and socket together!!.. so when I switched off the cooker I switched off the fridge, nice to come home to a smell of food slowly going off!!. I sorted this with just one visit to B&Q and bought a new cooker switch and socket combined i wasn't that hard to sort out.

Bedroom 1, when they put up all of the curtain rails in the bedrooms the attached them on a wooden beam above the windows they used a wooden dowel instead of a raw plug so when I fitted a nice new blind in the main bedroom the wooden beam and dowels didn't like the extra weight!!. and fell off.

Bedroom 2, when I painted the spare room the same as above happened but I didn't manage to get the blind on the wall. The wooden beam above the window they fitted fell off the wall with just one touch of a paint roller!!.

Kitchen again, The people I bought the house off were the children of the owners, (doesn't sound right when I say that!!) since their mother died it was left it to them, but I was amazed to find that they put up wood screws as hangers for dish cloths and tea towels!.

I can't think of much more for now... but I've only got through month 3 of new home ownership!! and not had to tackle anymore diy problems!.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Daz

Sponsored Links
Your probably going to find plenty more so best of luck

So far in my place

7.5Kw shower wired back to CU with 2.5mm Three core flex JB'ed under floor board

Spur, upon spur, upon spur.

Never heard of Earth Sheathing or CPC in general

Cable run in diagonal directions out of sockets

Lighting and power sockets on same circuit

Rewire required

Tiles fixed with silicon sealant no adhesive

Immersion copper sealed in with jointing compound and spray foam

All pipes boxed in using Ringshank nails no access points or screws to remove boards.

Patio Flags laid on 3 x 2 softwood rails( which are now rotting) no substantial base, no mortar etc.( being cleared to prepare for decking)

Retaining wall for raised pond bowing outwards(now demolished0

I truely hate finding jobs to do as it takes me 5 times longer to strip down and correct the previous owners mistakes before then doing the job properly.

All part of the fun I suppose by teh time I retire in 30 yrs or so I shoudl ahve sorted out all these little issues

All part of the fun I suppose by the time I retire in 30 yrs or so I should have sorted out all these little issues

Should keep you out of mischief for a day or two. :LOL:

you can thank b&q and all the other sheds for diy disasters.

they should do what the heating trade is now doing if your not corgi they don't sell you the parts. :LOL:

mind you b&q do give you a laugh when you stand down the plumbing and elecy sections
the local diy knob trying to impress his wife do i fit this or this, hour later still standing there. :oops:

should just ban all diyers from electric & water fullstop. :rolleyes:

least the busyest weekend for diyers is comming (easter) they make me a fortune in them three days in call outs. :LOL: muppets.

Sponsored Links
My place, a 1960's bungalow, is now undergoing refurb - so far I have found.......

a Y joint in the underfloor soil pipe in the bathroom, one branch capped by ply and a 1971 copy of the Mail!

22mm copper over flow from the loft water tank run down so it empties into the cavity!

12 Junction boxes on the lighting circuit, 11 on the ring main, 8 wall lamps run as spurs 3 of them from the ring. 4 huge outside floodlights, 2 of them chopped into the cooker ring.

two layers of polystyrene tiles on the kitchen ceiling painted over with 3 layers of paint.

Rear sunroom hardwood frame painted with cold roof tar paint then painted over in royal blue gloss.

Woodworm in the bedroom floorboards. (Missed by the Barstewert surveyor)

Ah well lucky I am retired!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back