New hot water, central heating and woodburners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just getting started on a house extension and refurbishment. At present the hot water comes from an immersion heater and heating comes from two miserable gas fires. Not very good.

On the wish list for the hot water and heating is a gas boiler and heat store for supply of hot water to an ensuite and family bathroom and a combination of radiators in the old part of the house and UFH in the new. There will also be one or maybe two wood burners to go in too. Is this a sensible plan?

Is it very common to find a fully integrated system like this these days? Been reading some background info at www.heatweb.com. The one heating engineer I have had round so far had no idea what I was talking about so I wondered whether this type of design is becoming popular.

Our drawings have the gas boiler and tank installed in the garage - this is quite close to the kitchen and bathrooms above but some way from the chimneys. Are there any pros and cons to having it outside the living space? It seems to take up quite a lot of space...

Anyone else running such a system or have any experience installing one.

Thanks in advance and many more questions to follow.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Forget the idea.
Get yourself a reasonable combi. Job done.
Eco and wood burners never pay for themselves.

Go to a renewables installer for advice. What you want is all possible.
Ignore dwackwell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back