Woodburning stove with backboiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am in Spain and as the products here are both overpriced and not great quality, I am thinking of ordering a woodburning stove with a back boiler from the UK (some suppliers deliver to Spain for a very reasonable charge)

I need to know what I will need to do as we are building a single story extension to include a woodburning stove which hopefully heats an open plan space of approx 60 sq metres as well as supplying some hot water for downstairs bathroom/shower and hopefully several radiators

I want the flue pipe to be visible and exit the ceiling (that way maximising heat)

At present, our domestic hot water is supplied by Junkers boiler which is powered by gas bottle

I presume I need a hot water tank, does this need to be gravity fed???

Any help/suggestions from those of you that have knowledge of this would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
It's the several radiators that you'll need to be careful with. Go by the manufacturers output. Many will claim to heat many rads then tell you that there's 7kW available to do it. Realistically look at heating a cylinder and towel rails then maybe a couple of bedroom rads. You can use an immersion for HW in summer. There's usually a % of the system that needs to be gravity circulated with the rest pumped.

Thanks for the info

As I'm sure you've guessed, I know absolutely nothing about this subject

As we get a lot of power cuts here, is there a system that doesn't rely on electricity

If I ask you what a cylinder is, promise not to laugh?

As we get a lot of power cuts here, is there a system that doesn't rely on electricity

Then to avoid having to light the fire in summer, you can install a simple LPG pilot ignition multipoint water heater like you see in holiday parks. They're sold by Morco here but FAGOR make them in Spain. Saunier Duval also sell a similar model in most of Southern Europe.

A cylinder is a hot water store. You can use it for bathrooms and maybe have the water heater supplying one sink and a shower only.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - we'd only want the water heater/radiator for winter as we already have a gas boiler which works pretty well for the water - it's only a couple of months a year out here when you want the rads/towel rail etc

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back