New hot water tank recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've currently got a 210l megaflo tank and having constant issues with recharging the airgap. I've had it for 20 years so I feel like its time to move on...

Some people have mention Joule and Oso. I see quite a lot of variations in terms on model/types etc...

Any recommendations and links would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Joule Cyclone cylinders are great, been fitting them for years. Avoid the Cyclone Air which has a copy of the stupid floaty baffle design that Megaflo have persisted in using despite its obvious failings.

Yes, assuming you have a boiler powerful enough to do it and the correct controls setup, it can heat in 42 mins. Do you really need 300 litres though? That's enough for about 5 showers without reheating

Sponsored Links
Thanks Muggles!

https://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/joule-cyclone-standard-indirect-short-unvented-cylinder-ji300s

What does the heat up time -coil actually mean? Cylinder will be fully heated in 42 mins?
Heat Up Time - Coil 42 Minutes

more realistically (unless you actually plan to empty all the hot water out of that big cylinder by running three baths at the same time?) If you run one bath, by the time you have splashed about, got out, towelled dry and brushed your teeth, the cylinder will be fully hot again, because it only needs to replenish about 100 litres of water.

You could have a football team queuing up outside the bathroom and it would be reheating the cylinder during and after every bath.

Or, you could run the boiler to heat the cylinder before bathtime, and even if you turned the boiler off (why would you?) you'd get three good baths out of it.

Thanks for your replies fella's.

I do have 3 bathrooms which do all get used. I think my method of using the timer could be wrong for what you have mentioned above. I have set the hot water to switch on at 4am - 6am. People start showering from 5:30am onwards.

So I guess I need to correct my hot water settings as hot water is probs created within the first hour and the 2nd hour its just on standby.

Would my best option be just to leave the timer from 4:30am till 7:30 so that way it's constantly creating hot water whilst being used at the same time.. also I'm guessing the tank has a cut off once it is full the boiler will stop until it needs to replenish again..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back