new house, boiler won't light - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in to my new (first) house and found the sime combi boiler won't ignight!

I have no expertise in this area at all and am about to call an engineer.

The seller tells me the boiler was definately working before though has not expertise himself also! I'm inclined to believe him as the rest of the house is in excellent working order.

I follow all the instructions - i.e. turn on the electrics, make sure the timer is to come on now, made sure the main gas supply is on (the gas cooker works), and ran the hot water tap... but nothing happens.

I think I may have done something wrong earlier because I turned a tap on one of the pipes going in to the boiler and water started to come out of a pipe going outside of the house and ran down the wall. After ringing an engineer he told me to turn this back on to get some water pressure in the boiler.... this worked but when I turned it off again the presure went back down to 0.

There is another pressure guage on the boiler and this also reads 0.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a good chance that by turning the tap on earlier and causing the leak outside that you have done yourself no good at all. The cause of the overflow was because the pressure relief valve operated and it probably hasn't reseated itself properly. But before you call anyone, try this:-

Re-pressurise the boiler by opening the filling loop (the one your operated before) bring the pressure up to 1 on either of the guages you appear to have. Turn off the tap/valve and quickly nip outside, if there is water coming out of the overflow then you will need to call an engineer. If there isn't and you still have no pressure, check all the rad bleed screws are tightened, if they are then you will still need an engineer. If the pressure is still on 1, then the boiler should work OK.

Thanks..

Spoke to someone at work also - seems to tie in with what you say..

I think there is another tap/valve I need to turn - if I turn the other tap on so that pressure rises but water goes outside THEN I turn this other tap I see water will stop going outside and the boiler will full up with water again....

perhaps then the pressure will keep and the boiler will detect that it is full of water and allow an ignight?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back